Topics

CD trucks ..splash pan on rear or not ??

Tim Hamblen

There are so few pictures of trucks to begin with and the CDs even more so, so the question, did CD pickups have a rear splash pan between body and bumper ? I know the CCs  did not but what about the CDs

Jeremy Rutherford

I was told no by either yankee or service motors when I asked

On Nov 7, 2018, at 10:30 AM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim@...> wrote:

There are so few pictures of trucks to begin with and the CDs even more so, so the question, did CD pickups have a rear splash pan between body and bumper ? I know the CCs  did not but what about the CDs

christopher cochrane

In all the versions I’ve seen. There is no pan on the rear from the factory. Some folks have added them for the aesthetics.

On Nov 7, 2018, at 10:31 AM, Jeremy Rutherford <jruthe2@...> wrote:

I was told no by either yankee or service motors when I asked

On Nov 7, 2018, at 10:30 AM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim@...> wrote:

There are so few pictures of trucks to begin with and the CDs even more so, so the question, did CD pickups have a rear splash pan between body and bumper ? I know the CCs  did not but what about the CDs

crosleyshortsport

It would look naked without it.

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018, 5:49 PM christopher cochrane via Groups.Io <Pisarunner=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
In all the versions I’ve seen. There is no pan on the rear from the factory. Some folks have added them for the aesthetics.

On Nov 7, 2018, at 10:31 AM, Jeremy Rutherford <jruthe2@...> wrote:

I was told no by either yankee or service motors when I asked

On Nov 7, 2018, at 10:30 AM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim@...> wrote:

There are so few pictures of trucks to begin with and the CDs even more so, so the question, did CD pickups have a rear splash pan between body and bumper ? I know the CCs  did not but what about the CDs

L.E. Hardee

With no knowledge of what Crosley offered as standard, I would like to offer a plausible explanation.  Rear bumpers were an option on Ford, Chevy, etc. pickups of the 40s-50's era.  Is it possible that the Crosley rear pickup bumper was also a dealer installed option?  If so, the splash pan installation would have required not only painting to match the body, but also the removal of the tailgate hinge to insert the splash pan in its place under the hinge bolts.  All this would have increased the cost of installation beyond what economy minded Crosley buyers would pay.  After I wrote this, I found this picture from a CC brochure with a wagon fendered pick up without a bumper.  This supports my theory.

I do agree the wagon fendered pickup looks much better with the splash pan, but I think the roundside pu looks ok without a splash pan.
image.png

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 7:15 PM crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:
It would look naked without it.

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018, 5:49 PM christopher cochrane via Groups.Io <Pisarunner=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
In all the versions I’ve seen. There is no pan on the rear from the factory. Some folks have added them for the aesthetics.

On Nov 7, 2018, at 10:31 AM, Jeremy Rutherford <jruthe2@...> wrote:

I was told no by either yankee or service motors when I asked

On Nov 7, 2018, at 10:30 AM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim@...> wrote:

There are so few pictures of trucks to begin with and the CDs even more so, so the question, did CD pickups have a rear splash pan between body and bumper ? I know the CCs  did not but what about the CDs

L.E. Hardee

I also don't see a rear bumper on this 1951 pu publicity photo.
image.png

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 9:07 PM L.E. Hardee <hftsales@...> wrote:
[...]

Jim Bollman

To throw some factory photos on the other side of the argument. Here is a bunch of photos from a CC pickup flyer. Most of the photos you can see a bumper. I don't remember seeing any reference to optional bumpers one way or another.

Jim...

On Nov 7, 2018, at 9:15 PM, L.E. Hardee <hftsales@...> wrote:

[...]

Here is a 1950 factory photo of the sedan delivery that shows the bumper and splash pan.

[...]

Jaks

My 46 roundside has both bumper and splash pan (but it also has a phender phuel phill a cardboard liner on rear bulkhead around rear window as well as cardboard door panels and headliner)

Jaks Phillips
papajaks@...

[...]

The 49 PU I just got is in good enough condition that I want to do a really good , authentic rest on it.That's why I am asking. The bumper and a splash pan are missing , so I need to know if I need both or just a bumper. Someone in it's past has fabbed up a custom roll pan and that has to go. I've not got under it yest to see how I will have to return it to it's OEM state. I may need the two dog ears under the rear quarters too. The worst of the body is the tailgate. It's rotted away in the center of the thing, both the skin and the support inside. So I will be jonesing a new tailgate at Wauseon.(and maybe the dog ears)

Jeremy Rutherford

Does someone sell the “dog ears” or is used the only option?

On Nov 8, 2018, at 5:24 PM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim@...> wrote:

The 49 PU I just got is in good enough condition that I want to do a really good , authentic rest on it.That's why I am asking. The bumper and a splash pan are missing , so I need to know if I need both or just a bumper. Someone in it's past has fabbed up a custom roll pan and that has to go. I've not got under it yest to see how I will have to return it to it's OEM state. I may need the two dog ears under the rear quarters too. The worst of the body is the tailgate. It's rotted away in the center of the thing, both the skin and the support inside. So I will be jonesing a new tailgate at Wauseon.(and maybe the dog ears)

Tim Hamblen

Used is it. In a pinch they could probably be fabricated.

crosleymembership@...

My 1949 pickup has one from the factory.