Topics

Adjusting bolts on 6&1/2 inch clutch , clutch slips, could this be the problem ?

Tim Hamblen

I took the Aerojet out of my 48 and put it in my 49. I did nothing to the clutch other than a new throwout bearing. Now in the 49 the clutch slips badly, never done that before . A look see shows the adjusting bolts on the pressure plate tight up against the throwout bearing. A comparison of the old and new bearing the best I can with the new in the car) and it appears that maybe the new bearing is a tad thicker than the  than the old bearing. Could it be so simple as just running the finger adjusting bolts in some ? In other words it seems the bolts are not allowing the pressure plate to fully engage.

L.E. Hardee

Rather than messing with the finger bolts, why not just adjust the clutch linkage until you have about 1" of free clutch pedal movement before the throwout bearing engages the pressure plate.  I only adjust the finger bolts to get all three to engage evenly.

On Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 9:15 AM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim@...> wrote:
I took the Aerojet out of my 48 and put it in my 49. I did nothing to the clutch other than a new throwout bearing. Now in the 49 the clutch slips badly, never done that before . A look see shows the adjusting bolts on the pressure plate tight up against the throwout bearing. A comparison of the old and new bearing the best I can with the new in the car) and it appears that maybe the new bearing is a tad thicker than the  than the old bearing. Could it be so simple as just running the finger adjusting bolts in some ? In other words it seems the bolts are not allowing the pressure plate to fully engage.

nobadrivers

I would think messing with the finger adjusting bolts could mess up even engagement as L.E. mentioned and also the proper pressure plate tension applied to the clutch disc.

A50CROSLEYTRK@...

I was wondering if you could be on the wrong side of the clutch forks or the pull back springs for the throw out bearing ?
  bye          Robert

In a message dated 7/21/2018 9:15:12 AM Eastern Standard Time, flinttim@... writes:

I took the Aerojet out of my 48 and put it in my 49. I did nothing to the clutch other than a new throwout bearing. Now in the 49 the clutch slips badly, never done that before . A look see shows the adjusting bolts on the pressure plate tight up against the throwout bearing. A comparison of the old and new bearing the best I can with the new in the car) and it appears that maybe the new bearing is a tad thicker than the  than the old bearing. Could it be so simple as just running the finger adjusting bolts in some ? In other words it seems the bolts are not allowing the pressure plate to fully engage.

L.E. Hardee

I did that once myself.  You should be able to check that the release bearing is correctly position in its notch in the pivot forks from underneath if the flywheel cover is removed.

In a message dated 7/21/2018 9:15:12 AM Eastern Standard Time, flinttim=yahoo.com@groups.io writes:

I took the Aerojet out of my 48 and put it in my 49. I did nothing to the clutch other than a new throwout bearing. Now in the 49 the clutch slips badly, never done that before . A look see shows the adjusting bolts on the pressure plate tight up against the throwout bearing. A comparison of the old and new bearing the best I can with the new in the car) and it appears that maybe the new bearing is a tad thicker than the  than the old bearing. Could it be so simple as just running the finger adjusting bolts in some ? In other words it seems the bolts are not allowing the pressure plate to fully engage.

Tim Hamblen

No, with the cable completely disconnected and the throwout bearing as far back as it can go, the fingers were still under tension keeping the disc off the flywheel.I ran the bolts in and corrected the problem. A look at what I know to be an original throwout bearing showed it to be rather flat on the surface the fingers ride on, the bearings we can get today have a convex face, ie" the bearing is thicker. While I can agree  the adjusting bolts are for adjusting even engagement, once they are riding on a too thick bearing they will have to be run in to work. I could just get the car moving in 1st gear, once in second gear it would crank at 5000 rpm and be barely moving.I guess the take away is, we are using bearings today meant for some other car and the thinner , original type just are not available.If you ever have to put a new bearing on a 6&1/2 inch clutch you'll see the problem.

Steve

Tim,

Buy that double trailer and bring yours and Jackson’s next year.  Then use your car to give us a Thursday night class on “Adjusting Your Clutch – Don’t Slip Your Disk.”

-Steve M.