Topics

NooB from Ohio

Greetings <flightshotohio@...>

Greetings from Ohio.  I'm Chris and I have recently came across a 1947 Crosley Coupe that from what I see is in amazing condition.  It is being sold by a classic car dealer.

I am not familiar with Crosley cars whatsoever, however very familiar with the Crosley story.  As a matter of fact I named my now 2 year old son Crosley!  I feel like I want to keep this car in Ohio and not let anything happen to it.

The only thing I have to come to grips with are the limited situations in which one can drive these cars.  I'm looking for all of the advice I can have :)

paul

Chris,
hopefully others will chime in, I am far, far from being an expert. I live in Dayton and have seen the ad.  things you will want to consider, do you want a car as original as possible to show for trophies or a really nice driver quality to get out and enjoy? the interior of that car has been redone, green and white upholstery was not available but it sure is pretty. the propeller is a fun touch but was only on 51 and 52 Crosley Super models. the pictures on the web page show paint on the top of the left side door latch, a good sign that it has been repainted. someone has changed the doors to the later type with roll up windows instead of sliders, a very nice convenience. did they also upgrade the brakes? their ad says "not restored." ok, maybe not but surely freshened up all over.  it does look like a super nice, fun car but a word of warning, a Crosley is NOT the old car to buy if you have increased value and profit in mind. Crosleys are Fun Little Cars, a Fine Car, collector insurance will not kill you, but as you said there is limited use involved. these cars have been going way up lately in ASKING prices but I cannot tell you what they are actually selling for, several have been for sale for a long time on Craig's List and EBay. they just keep coming back at high prices, relisted and not selling. I'm not saying they are not valued at these prices, but they do not seem to be selling very fast. I'm used to finding rougher ones that have serious needs and they can be bought much cheaper. you may well prefer a finished car and be willing to pony up rather than mess with the time, work, and costs of doing one from ground up. the 8000 miles shown could be accurate, some of them developed problems and got put into the corner of a garage or barn and forgotten for many years. 15, 19, 25000 mile cars are not unusual. Ohio does seem to have many cruise in and show venues on weekends and enough back roads to putt along on, don't think you will jump on the freeway and zoom along with traffic though, it ain't gonna happen. locally they are unique and seldom seen, a People's Choice Award might not be out of the question. I don't envy you trying to decide, tough call. Paul Rinehart

On 7/18/2018 2:27 PM, Greetings wrote:
Greetings from Ohio.  I'm Chris and I have recently came across a 1947 Crosley Coupe that from what I see is in amazing condition. It is being sold by a classic car dealer.

I am not familiar with Crosley cars whatsoever, however very familiar with the Crosley story.  As a matter of fact I named my now 2 year old son Crosley!  I feel like I want to keep this car in Ohio and not let anything happen to it.

Greetings <flightshotohio@...>

Paul:

Great stuff and points to take to heart.  From my conversation today with the seller they are not wanting to come down further than the $12,000 asking price.  I would feel more comfortable closer to $10K but that’s just the salesman in me.

The dealer has some really amazing cars in their collection over there.  I’m drawn to this for sure.  It needs the ignition replaced which he has, he’s going to put it in and I’m going back to drive it.

That will be the test.  I will be schooled on exactly how SLOW SLOW can be.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

hopefully others will chime in, I am far, far from being an expert. I

live in Dayton and have seen the ad.  things you will want to consider,

do you want a car as original as possible to show for trophies or a

really nice driver quality to get out and enjoy? the interior of that

car has been redone, green and white upholstery was not available but it

sure is pretty. the propeller is a fun touch but was only on 51 and 52

Crosley Super models. the pictures on the web page show paint on the top

of the left side door latch, a good sign that it has been repainted.

someone has changed the doors to the later type with roll up windows

instead of sliders, a very nice convenience. did they also upgrade the

brakes? their ad says "not restored." ok, maybe not but surely freshened

up all over.  it does look like a super nice, fun car but a word of

warning, a Crosley is NOT the old car to buy if you have increased value

and profit in mind. Crosleys are Fun Little Cars, a Fine Car, collector

insurance will not kill you, but as you said there is limited use

involved. these cars have been going way up lately in ASKING prices but

I cannot tell you what they are actually selling for, several have been

for sale for a long time on Craig's List and EBay. they just keep coming

back at high prices, relisted and not selling. I'm not saying they are

not valued at these prices, but they do not seem to be selling very

fast. I'm used to finding rougher ones that have serious needs and they

can be bought much cheaper. you may well prefer a finished car and be

willing to pony up rather than mess with the time, work, and costs of

doing one from ground up. the 8000 miles shown could be accurate, some

of them developed problems and got put into the corner of a garage or

barn and forgotten for many years. 15, 19, 25000 mile cars are not

unusual. Ohio does seem to have many cruise in and show venues on

weekends and enough back roads to putt along on, don't think you will

jump on the freeway and zoom along with traffic though, it ain't gonna

happen. locally they are unique and seldom seen, a People's Choice Award

might not be out of the question. I don't envy you trying to decide,

tough call. Paul Rinehart

On 7/18/2018 2:27 PM, Greetings wrote:

> Greetings from Ohio.  I'm Chris and I have recently came across a 1947

> Crosley Coupe that from what I see is in amazing condition. It is

> being sold by a classic car dealer.

> I am not familiar with Crosley cars whatsoever, however very familiar

> with the Crosley story.  As a matter of fact I named my now 2 year old

> son Crosley!  I feel like I want to keep this car in Ohio and not let

> anything happen to it.

Jim Bollman

I would need more pictures to make a guess on price but it would have to be pretty special mechanically to be worth 12K with what I can see from the pictures and what Paul mentioned about the interior. Shame you didn't pop in a week earlier, our Nationals were in Wauseon Ohio last week and you could have met lots of Crosley people. I'm sure you could have driven a few and learned the pros and cons of Crosley ownership. A few changed hands at the meet but I didn't really keep track of prices.

A nice 47-48 Sedan had a price tag of $5800 on it, cosmetically it was very nice, not a stock paint job but nice. I didn't look at the interior or ask about the mechanicals since I wasn't looking for that model. I don't know if it sold or not. Here is a picture for reference. In another picture I can read the phone number and it is an Ohio number.

Jim...

On Jul 18, 2018, at 4:37 PM, Greetings <flightshotohio@...> wrote:

> [...]

barn and forgotten for many years. 15, 19, 25000 mile cars are not
unusual. Ohio does seem to have many cruise in and show venues on
weekends and enough back roads to putt along on, don't think you will
jump on the freeway and zoom along with traffic though, it ain't gonna
happen. locally they are unique and seldom seen, a People's Choice Award
might not be out of the question. I don't envy you trying to decide,
tough call. Paul Rinehart

On 7/18/2018 2:27 PM, Greetings wrote:
> Greetings from Ohio.  I'm Chris and I have recently came across a 1947
> Crosley Coupe that from what I see is in amazing condition. It is
> being sold by a classic car dealer.
> I am not familiar with Crosley cars whatsoever, however very familiar
> with the Crosley story.  As a matter of fact I named my now 2 year old
> son Crosley!  I feel like I want to keep this car in Ohio and not let

Jeremy Rutherford

For that kind of money I would buy the that beautifully restored prewar pickup that has been been on the Crosley Facebook page, price was just lowered to 8500...

On Jul 18, 2018, at 4:44 PM, Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:

> [...]

barn and forgotten for many years. 15, 19, 25000 mile cars are not
unusual. Ohio does seem to have many cruise in and show venues on
weekends and enough back roads to putt along on, don't think you will
jump on the freeway and zoom along with traffic though, it ain't gonna
happen. locally they are unique and seldom seen, a People's Choice Award
might not be out of the question. I don't envy you trying to decide,
tough call. Paul Rinehart

On 7/18/2018 2:27 PM, Greetings wrote:
> Greetings from Ohio.  I'm Chris and I have recently came across a 1947
> Crosley Coupe that from what I see is in amazing condition. It is
> being sold by a classic car dealer.
> I am not familiar with Crosley cars whatsoever, however very familiar
> with the Crosley story.  As a matter of fact I named my now 2 year old
> son Crosley!  I feel like I want to keep this car in Ohio and not let

Attachments:

paul

Chris,
it will run with town traffic, even away from a traffic light. as long as the steering is fairly tight, 35 mph is comfortable.  if you feel like drag racing though pick on a 4 year old on a tricycle on the sidewalk. he will cry but you will win!! I hope they put good gear oil in the trans because you will grind gears until you learn not to push it. everybody does. take a rubber coated refrigerator magnet, check both ends of the rocker panels, the bottom rear of the front fenders, vertical on the front fenders between the door and the vent, and an inch up along the bottom of the doors.  bodies don't rust too bad, floors and rockers do if one sits outside in the rain much. if it has rusted and was patched with metal, the magnet will stick, if it's gobbed with bondo the magnet will have a problem depending on the thickness of the filler. check the area bottom front of the kick panel where the fender, floor, and angled toe board all come together, many you can see a bit of light peeking through. I don't think that is an original color but it is pleasant to look at. the engine bay should be body color, not black but if you are using it to chase an ice cream on Sunday afternoon or running to Crosley's soccer game in a few years who cares. go to      http://crosleyautoclub.com/      download an application and join.  greatest bunch of people you will ever meet.  they enjoy a perfect car but do not get hung up on little details, heck at the National Meet they accept fridges and washing machines, if it says Crosley, it belongs.    Paul

On 7/18/2018 4:37 PM, Greetings wrote:
bodies don't rust too bad

Great stuff and points to take to heart.  From my conversation today with the seller they are not wanting to come down further than the $12,000 asking price.  I would feel more comfortable closer to $10K but that’s just the salesman in me.

The dealer has some really amazing cars in their collection over there.  I’m drawn to this for sure.  It needs the ignition replaced which he has, he’s going to put it in and I’m going back to drive it.

That will be the test.  I will be schooled on exactly how SLOW SLOW can be.

Jim Bollman

Paul has lots of good advice, I do want to correct the speed part. If you have a good engine and the steering and brakes are good you can drive a Crosley 50 to 55 mph, it take awhile to get there. Some drive them even faster and the Hotshot and Super Sports does feel better than a sedan at speeds over 55mph. It may take you a few hundred miles of driving a Crosley to get comfortable at speeds above 45. The transmission comment is about the fact that the transmission is not synchromesh so you have to learn to double clutch to minimize gear grinding.

Jim...

On Jul 18, 2018, at 7:26 PM, paul <bikertrash@...> wrote:

[...]

crosleyshortsport

Chris,   The sedan typically brings less than other Crosley models to begin with. This Crosley has been "restored" to un-original condition. Looks nice, and would be more than welcome at the national meet. The fact is, the roll up windows do not match the year of the car. Theough the interior looks nice and comfortable, is is overdone. The center hood trim is incorrect, the lower door trim is incorrect for the year. The propeller is incorrect. The spare tire belongs underneath the car. The engine bay and motor will make a big difference in the value. If the engine compartment and engine is excellent, in my opinion, that sedan is worth around $8500. If the engine is not perfect, I would not spend over $6500. I have been playing with Crosleys for 47 years, however this is just my opinion.

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018, 7:43 PM Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
[...]

everything said is right on. unless this car has an emotional draw for being just like the one grandpa went outhouse tipping in when he wasn't courting grandma, run, don't walk.  spend a few more days thinking about what YOU want.  if a perfect, high point car is what you decide, then this one needs completely redone, another 12K at least. then you are way upside down money wise. if you want a fun driver, look for a sweet one at half or less that price, it might already have the first flaw in the paint and you won't have to turn purple when it happens one day.  when I rode motorcycles I always told people to buy a decent used one first, find out if they were a rider. one can always fix, upgrade or buy new, opportunities abound. by then they had a better idea what it was all about and what they wanted. if they found out they weren't a rider they could sell and come close to breaking even. salesmen can see stars in your eyes, that is their job.   Paul

On 7/18/2018 4:37 PM, Greetings wrote:

Paul:

Great stuff and points to take to heart.  From my conversation today with the seller they are not wanting to come down further than the $12,000 asking price.  I would feel more comfortable closer to $10K but that’s just the salesman in me.

The dealer has some really amazing cars in their collection over there.  I’m drawn to this for sure.  It needs the ignition replaced which he has, he’s going to put it in and I’m going back to drive it.

That will be the test.  I will be schooled on exactly how SLOW SLOW can be.

Greetings <flightshotohio@...>

Again, great information guys!  I see why this car has been for sale in the collection for two years.  I am really drawn to the Crosley so I’m going to continue my search.

I fear I would be paying too much for what I see as being a cream puff, but you don’t know what you don’t know.

There are a lot of “fun” cars on my radar and I have the green light from my wife so that’s the best starting point!

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 9:03 PM paul <bikertrash@...> wrote:
[...]

Spock Arnold

There are a lot of nice Crosleys for sale in the hands of private individuals.  I think you will get a better deal from one of them.

On Jul 18, 2018 9:29 PM, Greetings <flightshotohio@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you everyone!  I am passing on this one for sure but my hunt begins.  Here is a link to the ad for the car in question: http://gcc.dealeraccelerate.net/vehicles/43/1947-crosley-coupe

ROBERT L GREGG <capngrog@...>

I think you are wise to have passed on that one.  Although it appears to be a very nice car, it is way over-priced ... in my opinion.

Cheers,
Bob

On Thursday, July 19, 2018 10:20 AM, Greetings <flightshotohio@...> wrote:

Thank you everyone!  I am passing on this one for sure but my hunt begins.  Here is a link to the ad for the car in question: http://gcc.dealeraccelerate.net/vehicles/43/1947-crosley-coupe

Ron D.

$12,000, and it doesn't even have a radio. Looks like that dealer is looking for that sucker who was just born.
P.S. , .......Don't be him.

paul

Folks,  I live in Dayton, knew this Crosley existed but never ventured to see it. we can't put it all on the dealer, he may have been sold a bill of goods too. we don't know how much Crosley he knows. who actually did the work? was it finished when he bought it? did he get it partially done and get in over his head doing or having the final work done? upgrading the doors to roll up windows wasn't an accident, that and probably changing to hydraulic brakes took someone knowledgeable about Crosleys. the pictures say it's a pretty car, the seats say comfortable, the propeller is a neat touch, two tone wheels are striking. it's still an overpriced, overdone, fun driver to play with and most viewers on a Saturday evening would never know the difference. maybe the dealer is hunting a sucker or maybe he got suckered himself and needs 12K just to get out from under it.  thank goodness Chris had the insight to ask, we have begun to educate him, but the dealer is getting lessons too. I was born this month but not just this morning,,,,   Paul Rinehart

On 7/20/2018 7:30 AM, Ron Dole wrote:
$12,000, and it doesn't even have a radio. Looks like that dealer is looking for that sucker who was just born.
P.S. , .......Don't be him.

jane altman

I know you all are VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE on how to restore a Crosley with your own hands.  BUT... To those of us who have to hire almost all, $12000 is a bargain!  My convertible is a good case:
But 2 or not at all:. $10000
Pay owner for delivery $500 (it was on his way to buy a model T)
Parts for both:. $975 ($190 for CD)
Sold CD delivery: $6500
Mechanic:  $1900 (for convertible)
Body (for convertible) $$1275
Convertible approximate total:. $14960
$12000 is sounding like a bargain to me!!

crosleyshortsport

Jane, You are right on target. The bigger issue with the car at hand, is the fact that many parts of it are incorrect for the year and it is being put out there as original. Still a nice Crosley though.

On Sat, Jul 21, 2018, 4:23 PM jane altman <bchjanead@...> wrote:
I know you all are VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE on how to restore a Crosley with your own hands.  BUT... To those of us who have to hire almost all, $12000 is a bargain!  My convertible is a good case:
But 2 or not at all:. $10000
Pay owner for delivery $500 (it was on his way to buy a model T)
Parts for both:. $975 ($190 for CD)
Sold CD delivery: $6500
Mechanic:  $1900 (for convertible)
Body (for convertible) $$1275
Convertible approximate total:. $14960
$12000 is sounding like a bargain to me!!

paul

Jane,  I agree, I am the guilty party and "overpriced" was a poor word choice. this car would be hard to duplicate at 12K were work farmed out. Chris came to us stating that he knew little about the Crosley cars, hope he is still with us. my contention was that were he looking for an "as manufactured" high point trophy car, this was not the one for him. he needed to stop and think about what kind of Crosley he wants. it's only my opinion but for a first Crosley, he might consider a good "20 footer," one he can improve or replace as he finds where his wants fit. a good looking, solid, safe car can be purchased much cheaper and serve well as one learns and decides. fortunately the club represents the whole Crosley marque. preserved, super restored, works in progress, mild or wild custom, purpose built, even rough cars are respected and accepted, this makes the club unique and I love it. using the club as a contact, he should be able to find a suitable car, enjoy it, have fun, and still have some money to put toward his  dream. Chris stated his wife is on board and they have a 2 year old son, right now having the whole family involved might be a larger concern than having the perfect trophy or attention getter. we all know that ANY Crosley draws attention and starts conversations, anytime, anywhere. "is it a real car?" "how fast does it go?" "some kinda race car?" "what the h*** is it?" "can you drive it or do you just take it around and show it off?" "my uncle's neighbor had a wagon." "imported?"  and more, that was just at the first gas station bringing my Hot Shot home on an open trailer.  Paul Rinehart

On 7/21/2018 5:21 PM, crosleyshortsport wrote:
Jane, You are right on target. The bigger issue with the car at hand, is the fact that many parts of it are incorrect for the year and it is being put out there as original. Still a nice Crosley though.

On Sat, Jul 21, 2018, 4:23 PM jane altman <bchjanead@...> wrote:
I know you all are VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE on how to restore a Crosley with your own hands.  BUT... To those of us who have to hire almost all, $12000 is a bargain!  My convertible is a good case:
But 2 or not at all:. $10000
Pay owner for delivery $500 (it was on his way to buy a model T)
Parts for both:. $975 ($190 for CD)
Sold CD delivery: $6500
Mechanic:  $1900 (for convertible)
Body (for convertible) $$1275
Convertible approximate total:. $14960
$12000 is sounding like a bargain to me!!

jane altman

... You forgot to mention "clown car"... My response? You wouldn't be the first to call me a clown..

paul

"clown cars??"  yup, I missed them, but politically correct might be  "diminutive vehicles, some holding as many as twenty passengers, for circus performer transportation and support."  I proudly brush my orange hair out of my eyes and stretch my suspenders from my puffed chest when I say that.  I don't call people names, I salute them for being individuals out of the mainstream. owning a Crosley or two is NOT conformity. bowing and tipping my big, floppy, multi-colored hat to you my lady. it requires "intestinal fortitude" to be different...the ability to laugh at one's self helps. :-) Paul