1952 wagon hood stuck

Ken Ballein

Hi,

I have a 1952 wagon with the hood stuck closed. The hood cable broke. I have most of the front grill out, but not sure how the latch works. I can pull the arm the hooks to the cable but it still won’t unlock. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ken

Ken Ballein

All,

I have to admit my ignorance. Safety latch was holding it in place, duh. Didn’t even know where the safety latch was. I found it and the hood popped right open.

Thanks,
Ken

On Dec 10, 2020, at 12:40 PM, Ken Ballein <kballein@msn.com> wrote:

Hi,

I have a 1952 wagon with the hood stuck closed. The hood cable broke. I have most of the front grill out, but not sure how the latch works. I can pull the arm the hooks to the cable but it still won’t unlock. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ken

Sent from my iPhone

crosleyshortsport

Maybe these photos will help. They have been taken from underneath.

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020, 12:48 PM Ken Ballein <kballein@...> wrote:
All,

I have to admit my ignorance.  Safety latch was holding it in place, duh.  Didn’t even know where the safety latch was.  I found it and the hood popped right open.

Thanks,
Ken
> On Dec 10, 2020, at 12:40 PM, Ken Ballein <kballein@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a 1952 wagon with the hood stuck closed.  The hood cable broke.  I have most of the front grill out, but not sure how the latch works.  I can pull the arm the hooks to the cable but it still won’t unlock.  Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Ken
>

> Sent from my iPhone

Ken Ballein

I got the hood release fixed with a new cable.  The wagon had been hit in the front before I got it.  Pulled it back into place with my Jeep and winch.  Came out pretty good.  Opens and closes easily now.  I included a few pictures.

Anyone have a Crosley bird emblem?  It was missing when I got the car.  My propeller has a dent in the round mount.  I'll probably be learning how to work out stainless this winter.

Next is setting the timing.  Idles good, but missing at higher rpm.

Thanks,
Ken

Maybe these photos will help. They have been taken from underneath.

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020, 12:48 PM Ken Ballein <kballein@...> wrote:
All,

I have to admit my ignorance.  Safety latch was holding it in place, duh.  Didn’t even know where the safety latch was.  I found it and the hood popped right open.

Thanks,
Ken
> On Dec 10, 2020, at 12:40 PM, Ken Ballein <kballein@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a 1952 wagon with the hood stuck closed.  The hood cable broke.  I have most of the front grill out, but not sure how the latch works.  I can pull the arm the hooks to the cable but it still won’t unlock.  Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Ken
>

> Sent from my iPhone

Attachments:

Don Pitchford

Ken,
I'm glad you got it open. Just in case others run into this problem I will tell you a way to do it without taking things apart. I inherited a 48 1/2 wagon that was my Dad's. He never had the hardware to hook up the hood release. For the 40 plus years he owed the car he used a modified screwdriver to open the hood. He heated the blade of a #2 straight blade screwdriver and bent it into a hook, then ground it flat enough to fit between the hood and the grill. It was a bit like a large crochet hook ground thin so he could hook the hood catch and pull forward.

I have since gotten parts to fix the hood release, but I still have his old "hood opener" tool, just in case.
Don Pitchford