1950 Hotshot Goodyear Hawley Disc Brakes

Jim Liberty

Hi guys, I have dismantled the disc brakes on my Hotshot. They were frozen with rust on the piston sleeve. The rubber "O" ring feels pliable. Are there any tricks I need to know in reassembly. I'll switch to DOT - 5 to eliminate water in the system.

I read bad things about this system, anyone with advice, will be much appreciated.  Has anyone switched to drums ???          ...................................Jim.

Jim Bollman

I have never rebuilt a disc brake system but Service Motors has all the parts including some improvements. I believe they also will completely rebuild your system if you don’t want to tackle them.

Jim…

On May 14, 2021, at 7:38 PM, Jim Liberty <jimliberty356@...> wrote:

Hi guys, I have dismantled the disc brakes on my Hotshot. They were frozen with rust on the piston sleeve. The rubber "O" ring feels pliable. Are there any tricks I need to know in reassembly. I'll switch to DOT - 5 to eliminate water in the system.

I read bad things about this system, anyone with advice, will be much appreciated.  Has anyone switched to drums ???          ...................................Jim.

Tim Hamblen

You need to order the necessary parts and rebuild them.If you put them back together as is you are asking for trouble.New piston(actuator) stainless steel liner , everything.

fred@...

The brakes work great 99 out of 100 times - Service Motors can supply the good stuff, I suggest also using a dual master cylinder though

Jim Liberty

Thanks guys, I have everything coming from service Mtrs. Pretty straight forward. I still need all the emergency brake parts from the rear bell crank back. O good pictures, so I can fabricate them.
                                                                                                                  .....Jim.