Topics

1950 crosley super accesories

cglisson0004@...

Hey all. I have a 1950 crosley super station wagon. It was once owned by a guy that worked in the crosley factory and looks to be fully loaded with options. There are a couple I'm not sure may be original though. It has a swan hood ornament with orange plastic wings, it has a small chrome light mounted on the back tailgate looks like maybe a back up light. and it has 3 portholes lined up on each side of the front fenders similar to like the old buicks have. And it has a metal outside survivor. Does anyone know if these accessories could be original or later add ons? Any help would be appreciated

Crosleykid@...

The sun visor is the only thing I think was a Crosley after market item.  The other things were probably taken from other makes of cars.

In a message dated 10/27/2015 7:05:23 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Crosley_Gang@... writes:

Hey all. I have a 1950 crosley super station wagon. It was once owned by a guy that worked in the crosley factory and looks to be fully loaded with options. There are a couple I'm not sure may be original though. It has a swan hood ornament with orange plastic wings, it has a small chrome light mounted on the back tailgate looks like maybe a back up light. and it has 3 portholes lined up on each side of the front fenders similar to like the old buicks have. And it has a metal outside survivor. Does anyone know if these accessories could be original or later add ons? Any help would be appreciated

Paintedwoods@...

I still have my chrome swan. My Daddy hooked up the light that made the wings glow.
Pennsylvania, inspection cut the wires. No other color than white on the front. This was in 1954.
Bought it at Dean Phipps auto store. Also the red jewel on the Crosley cross had to be replaced with a white jewel.
I was a teen girl with my own car and wanted to dress up the front of my 47 Crosley.
Still have my car too.
Deanna

In a message dated 10/27/2015 11:58:22 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Crosley_Gang@... writes:

The sun visor is the only thing I think was a Crosley after market item.  The other things were probably taken from other makes of cars.

In a message dated 10/27/2015 7:05:23 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Crosley_Gang@... writes:

Hey all. I have a 1950 crosley super station wagon. It was once owned by a guy that worked in the crosley factory and looks to be fully loaded with options. There are a couple I'm not sure may be original though. It has a swan hood ornament with orange plastic wings, it has a small chrome light mounted on the back tailgate looks like maybe a back up light. and it has 3 portholes lined up on each side of the front fenders similar to like the old buicks have. And it has a metal outside survivor. Does anyone know if these accessories could be original or later add ons? Any help would be appreciated

"L.E. Hardee" <hftsales@...>

I know that Crosley offered a small chrome back up light as a dealer added accessory.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 12:18 PM, Paintedwoods@... [Crosley_Gang] <Crosley_Gang@...> wrote:

[...]

ED LIMKE <ealimke@...>

Howdy From SD: 1947 Crosley has the white Jewel in front only.

On 10/27/2015 12:02 PM, 'L.E. Hardee' hftsales@... [Crosley_Gang] wrote:

[...]

"Pete" <berard_m@...>

  Backup light looked like a large pocket watch as best as I remember.
I’d love to have one now.
I’d likely put a chain on it and poke it in my watch pocket.............p

Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 6:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Crosley_Gang] 1950 crosley super accesories

[...]

wvanbusk

Hey Gang,

The wiring is shot in my 50 super wagon with a melt at the dimmer switch and the insulation brittle and falling off everywhere. I'm going to redo-reroute the harness adding a fuse box, an updated ignition key switch, and some relays.

I am considering electrical accessories that were available in 1950. A backup light sounds nice. If someone has a backup light, can you tell me how is it switched on?

Wade

crosleyshortsport

Wade,  I am just finishing my '48 wagon. I purchased a VERY nice wiring harness through Yankee Crosley Parts. Very original looking and it installed quite easily. I actually ordered a later type harness because I have both tailights. I also added turn signals as my 48 did not come with them. I am not sure how you could accomplish adding back up lights. You would need some type of switch that would actuate when the shifter is in the reverse position. Inside a stock tail light, there is no spot for an extra bulb. You would need to mount some extra parking lights like the ones on the front, and hook them up to your switch that you rigged up to the shift lever.
Jeffrey

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018, 6:00 PM wvanbusk <wvanbusk@...> wrote:
Hey Gang,

The wiring is shot in my 50 super wagon with a melt at the dimmer switch and the insulation brittle and falling off everywhere. I'm going to redo-reroute the harness adding a fuse box, an updated ignition key switch, and some relays.

I am considering electrical accessories that were available in 1950. A backup light sounds nice. If someone has a backup light, can you tell me how is it switched on?

Wade

Randy C

Back up lights back in the 1940's and even very early 1950's were mostly controlled by a switch on the dash. Some makes had an indicator light on the dash to remind the driver to turn it or them off. A single back up light on the drivers side was as common as two back up lights.

   Randy

---
https://www.avg.com

Jim Bollman

I don't think backup lights were around in 1950 but do remember people adding lights, to older cars, on the rear bumpers that resembled fog lights with white bulbs that were just connected to a switch to turn on when you needed them.

Jim...

On Sep 27, 2018, at 7:42 PM, crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:

[...]

L.E. Hardee

Crosley offered a dealer installed backup light.  It was round, chrome and attached by screws to the body or splash pan, depended on the mood of the dealership mechanic.  They were the same light you could purchase at an auto parts store of the era.

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 7:54 PM Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
[...]

ROBERT BAKER

A very common backup light at the time was the Guide B-31.

They are always on E-Bay, and can be found in good shape reasonably.

Bob

CAC#808

wvanbusk

Looks like a small motorcycle teardrop light. Thanks!
image.png

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 8:36 AM ROBERT BAKER <bkrsdoz@...> wrote:

A very common backup light at the time was the Guide B-31.

They are always on E-Bay, and can be found in good shape reasonably.

Bob

CAC#808

L.E. Hardee

Edited

The Crosley backup light I remember was similar to the guide B-31 pictured but was flatter in the back.  Has anyone got the Crosley accessory poster that could photograph the backup light and post it for us to see?