Topics

1949 VC

David Stubenvoll

Hello all, I received a great response from my previous post - thank you!
Now I need help moving my dream car from Oregon to Wisconsin. I’ve already contacted numerous brokers, also Freighter Jim, Bill’s Auto Works, etc. Have to be honest, brokers scare me. I’ve had one horror story in the past where my car was late and delivered to the wrong address. Fortunately the good folks there knew I was a car guy and they called to see if it was mine. The driver couldn’t speak English and had evidently lost the paperwork. I’m not going that route again.

Please let me know if you have any contacts or good ideas that could help. I’m willing to pay a fair but not exorbitant amount and could meet someone in Iowa or Illinois if they are coming across on 80.

also the current owner of the car is very gracious and has the vehicle well stored. It doesn’t have to be moved immediately so any time in the next few months will work. Snow won’t disappear here until April anyway.

Thank you all again, “Crosley” is a great community!

Dave

Steve Olinger

Hi Dave,
            I'm sure you may be aware, but brokers will say they can haul a Crosley but most cannot. Crosleys are too narrow for normal car haulers.
Stay safe,
Steve

L.E. Hardee

Buy yourself a trailer and schedule a road trip vacation when the snow melts?  When my kids were young, most of our vacations were car hauling.  I had a crew cab rollback truck (which was rare back in the 80's) and we would get car haul jobs to scenic spots.  Orando, Niagara Falls, Cleveland??, Underground Atlanta (It was a trick to park the rollback but I did it right between the Coke museum and the aquarium) just to name a few trips.   My Crosley procurement trips include Long Island, Chicago, Ft. Lauderdale, Amish country Pennsylvania, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Chattanooga, Cincinnati, Asheville, Manassas Virginia and others.  So make your Crosley collecting a tour of the county.  Instead of "See the USA in your Cheverolet", make it "Tour America with a Crosley".

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 9:04 AM Steve Olinger via groups.io <solinger=rockingham.k12.va.us@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Dave,
            I'm sure you may be aware, but brokers will say they can haul a Crosley but most cannot. Crosleys are too narrow for normal car haulers.
Stay safe,
Steve

David Stubenvoll

I’d Love to saddle up my Silverado and head west. I too have traveled all over this great country rescuing vehicles over the years. Unfortunately, it’s not in the cards for now. My father passed away last year leaving my mother living alone and she doesn’t drive. I’m the only one that lives near her and I’m there every day or two to help her out. I can get away for a few days but not as long as this trip would take.  Certainly not complaining, it’s just where my life is now.

Jim Liberty

Dave, bite the Bullitt and use Reliable. I move several cars a year, and they are the most professional group you will find. I won't bore you with the stories of their exceptional drivers. They love cars, and care for them like their own. When I moved my Crosley PU from SC to CA, they employed special ramps for the narrow wheel track. I didn't ask, they just know cars. When one of mine goes to Amelia Island Concours, YUP, Reliable. I've copied a friend there, VP Bob Sellers. If you contact him, you'll become "Family" too.

                                                                        .......................................Jim.

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 5:38 AM David Stubenvoll <David.Stubenvoll@...> wrote:

[...]

James Dlapa

I agree with Jim, Reliable is great to work with, when I was at the Mercedes Classic Center we used them quite often with excellent results. Some carriers may change out cargo at different hubs from trailer to trailer which can increase the chance of damage. Reliable hauls a lot of classic cars and takes care of their loads very well.

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 12:00 PM Jim Liberty <jimliberty356@...> wrote:
[...]

Jim Bollman

I don’t know if they fit in fair price or exorbitant but I have had good luck with Passport Transport  I have never had them move a Crosley but have had them ship several trucks for me. All in enclosed trucks and very careful. Not sure a Crosley would fit in their upper racks but it would fit in the bottom area I saw a 3 wheel motorcycle in that area when they made one of my deliveries. Just make sure they know the problems of moving a Crosley when you ask for a quote.

I have my own horror stories with a broker. I know there are probably some honest ones but the first time was so bad I would not take a chance again. I told this to a friend that transports for a broker and he thought I was a bit to closed minded. Apparently the broker he works for does not use wildcat drivers and contracts independent drivers that only work for him. I can see where that would be better.

Jim…

On Jan 17, 2021, at 8:38 AM, David Stubenvoll <David.Stubenvoll@...> wrote:

[...]

Spock Arnold

Ask Barry Seel for the story when he had the #19 delivered .

On Jan 17, 2021 1:44 PM, David Stubenvoll <David.Stubenvoll@...> wrote:
I’d Love to saddle up my Silverado and head west. I too have traveled all over this great country rescuing vehicles over the years. Unfortunately, it’s not in the cards for now. My father passed away last year leaving my mother living alone and she doesn’t drive. I’m the only one that lives near her and I’m there every day or two to help her out. I can get away for a few days but not as long as this trip would take.  Certainly not complaining, it’s just where my life is now.

duffymt60 <duffymt60@aol.com>

I have used Rick Powell from Showtime transport  864-324-1571 , racinman43@... , he is based out of South Carolina but travels all over the country. Super service.

Mike Duffy

jerry thompson

Was this the VC that was for sale in Eugene OR,?  I live about 45 minutes from it if it was. If you need any help  just let me know.

David Stubenvoll

Hi Jerry, I know that I responded to your message but I may have forgotten to hit send. Yes, I would greatly appreciate any help or ideas to get this VC heading East.

Thank you,
Dave

Jerry Summey

Sorry David but you need to refresh my memory. My 74 year old brain is not what it used to be.

Jerry

Hi Jerry, I know that I responded to your message but I may have forgotten to hit send. Yes, I would greatly appreciate any help or ideas to get this VC heading East.
Thank you,
Dave

David Stubenvoll

Hello again, I’m still looking for affordable transportation. I have two possibilities so far but nothing confirmed. I contacted a number of brokers but didn’t feel comfortable with their responses. Reliable didn’t even quote it. I just can’t afford or even justify the $3000 to $4000 prices I’m getting.

Steve Perry <sperryfish@...>

David,
I’ve used Rich with Enclosed Auto Transporters to haul a couple of cars and have been happy with the price and service. I found him when I sold an old MG to a dealer in New York. That dealer uses his service too.
His number is 901-487-1832
Steve Perry

On Jan 25, 2021, at 8:34 AM, David Stubenvoll <David.Stubenvoll@...> wrote:

Hello again, I’m still looking for affordable transportation. I have two possibilities so far but nothing confirmed. I contacted a number of brokers but didn’t feel comfortable with their responses. Reliable didn’t even quote it. I just can’t afford or even justify the $3000 to $4000 prices I’m getting.

Steve Perry <sperryfish@...>

OK.. my wife reminded me.. Rich has shipped a couple of my cars but the buyer paid. So, I don’t know about the pricing.. sorry for the mixup.
Steve

On Jan 25, 2021, at 8:34 AM, David Stubenvoll <David.Stubenvoll@...> wrote:

Hello again, I’m still looking for affordable transportation. I have two possibilities so far but nothing confirmed. I contacted a number of brokers but didn’t feel comfortable with their responses. Reliable didn’t even quote it. I just can’t afford or even justify the $3000 to $4000 prices I’m getting.

crosleyshortsport

David, This guy is excellent to work with, reliable, and trustworthy. And has experience moving Crosleys.

Did you look on the AACA website, www.aaca.org?  I just looked this am and there was a guy going california to Indiana at 1.00 per mile.  Go to forums commercial advertisements tow teansport available.

On Jan 25, 2021 9:34 AM, David Stubenvoll <David.Stubenvoll@...> wrote:
Hello again, I’m still looking for affordable transportation. I have two possibilities so far but nothing confirmed. I contacted a number of brokers but didn’t feel comfortable with their responses. Reliable didn’t even quote it. I just can’t afford or even justify the $3000 to $4000 prices I’m getting.

David Stubenvoll

Yes, I talked to that hauler Last week, Freighter Jim. His current route will swing through way south of me.
He will let me know when and if he has a load aligned that will work for me.

nadno1

There is a guy on the model that site that hauls a lot of cars, goes by Freighter Jim, never used him but seems like it is always hauling for someone, may  be worth checking out.

Hello again, I’m still looking for affordable transportation. I have two possibilities so far but nothing confirmed. I contacted a number of brokers but didn’t feel comfortable with their responses. Reliable didn’t even quote it. I just can’t afford or even justify the $3000 to $4000 prices I’m getting.

ray tooley

Where do you need to call to and from and what kind of car is it and does it have to be enclosed or not