Topics

1947 Roundside brace cab to bed

Steve Olinger

Hi,
        Just wondering did no 47 roundsides have the little triangle brace from the cab to the bed at the top of the bed where it meets the cab?. Also I see some that have small braces and some have larger ones? Just wondering. Stay Safe!
Thanks 
Steve

Spock Arnold

Steve;
     My 47 does!

Sent from my Boost Mobile Phone.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 1/10/21 8:51 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: [Crosley-Gang] 1947 Roundside brace cab to bed

Hi,
        Just wondering did no 47 roundsides have the little triangle brace from the cab to the bed at the top of the bed where it meets the cab?. Also I see some that have small braces and some have larger ones? Just wondering. Stay Safe!
Thanks 
Steve

Jim Liberty

Here is my '47 Steve.    ......Jim.

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 6:58 PM Spock Arnold via groups.io <tmkldwwj=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Steve;
     My 47 does!

Sent from my Boost Mobile Phone.

-------- Original message --------
From: "Steve Olinger via groups.io" <solinger=rockingham.k12.va.us@groups.io>
Date: 1/10/21 8:51 PM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: [Crosley-Gang] 1947 Roundside brace cab to bed

Hi,
Thanks 
Steve

Steve Olinger

Thanks Dave! Steve

Steve Olinger

Hi Jim,
               Thanks for the photos. Looks like your pu is a early one with the fuel fill in the floor of the bed?  Curious what the last 4 numbers of your serial number is as to where they may have added them.
Thanks
Steve

Jim Liberty

Steve, 3640. I have been restoring 356 Porsches for 40+ years     libertymotorsports356.net     This is my first Crosley. Some of my teachers drove them in grade school. Yes, I'm in my 80s.

.........................................Jim.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 11:47 AM Steve Olinger via groups.io <solinger=rockingham.k12.va.us@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Jim,
               Thanks for the photos. Looks like your pu is a early one with the fuel fill in the floor of the bed?  Curious what the last 4 numbers of your serial number is as to where they may have added them.
Thanks
Steve

Steve Olinger

Hi Jim,
          Mine is 14809. I ask for the last 4 of the vin assuming that would put your later but maybe I should have ask for the last 5, as yours is a lower number than mine unless yours is a 2 as  23640?
Thanks
Steve

Jim Bollman

As far as I know all round sides have the brace. I never noticed two sizes till you mentioned it and I went back through a bunch of photos and now see the difference. The early ones are small not sure when it changed. I observed this on a picture of a known early gas flapper roundside.

Roundside still used flap type cap in bed in April-May 1947 till CC47-17187 according to November 1948 Parts Manual.

Jim...

On Jan 10, 2021, at 8:51 PM, Steve Olinger via groups.io <solinger@...> wrote:

Hi,
Thanks 
Steve

Jim Liberty

Steve, mine is CC4723640.         ..................Jim.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 5:48 PM Steve Olinger via groups.io <solinger=rockingham.k12.va.us@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Jim,
          Mine is 14809. I ask for the last 4 of the vin assuming that would put your later but maybe I should have ask for the last 5, as yours is a lower number than mine unless yours is a 2 as  23640?
Thanks
Steve

Steve Olinger

Hi Jim,
          Thanks for the reply, I appreciate you looking. That does make yours a little later than mine. Mine was never drilled so I don't know if they missed a few or if there was a time they didn't install them.
Steve

Steve Olinger

Thanks Jim. Yes not sure what was going on with the differences. Steve

Steve

Honestly, I didn’t believe the ’46 – ’47 pickups had the box braces.  My 1948 did not have braces.  This was a gigantic engineering mistake as Crosley was depending on the rigidness of the body to prevent body and frame flex.  The rounded fenders of ’46 and ’47 provided some stiffness; the flat sided fenders of 1948 did not.  As a result, the frames would break right at the back of the cab and the rear spring mount.  I know that personally.

That is why in ’49 on you began to see bracing inside the box from the fender down to the corner of the floor and the cab, and the little triangular brace on the cab at the top of the fender.  This limits the body flex at the door jamb. 

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Olinger via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 1:52 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] 1947 Roundside brace cab to bed

Thanks Jim. Yes not sure what was going on with the differences. Steve

Steve Olinger

Hi Steve,
          Yes I think you are right.
Thanks
Steve