1947 Round Side Paint ID Help Needed

wpaxt@...

I have a 1947 Round Side that I am restoring and I need some help with ID'ing the paint. The previous owner had the body media blasted and then covered it with grey primer and a scattershot burgundy topcoat to  keep the metal from rusting.  Therefore I have no evidence of the original color.  The previous owner's mother thought it was yellow which I was guessing might be bamboo yellow.  Is there any sort of a paint code anywhere on the body?  And if not any suggestions as to how to determine the original color?

By the way, this is my first Crosley and the first vehicle I have ever tried to restore.  It takes time but it is really a blast!

Thanks for any help you folks can offer.

Bill in Los Angeles

Spock Arnold

No paint code on body.  Look in door frames, around headlights, other places that may have traces of original paint.  In any case, why not look at the color chart for 1947 and decide what color you want it to be??

On Saturday, August 28, 2021, 11:24:17 AM EDT, wpaxt via groups.io <wpaxt@...> wrote:

I have a 1947 Round Side that I am restoring and I need some help with ID'ing the paint. The previous owner had the body media blasted and then covered it with grey primer and a scattershot burgundy topcoat to  keep the metal from rusting.  Therefore I have no evidence of the original color.  The previous owner's mother thought it was yellow which I was guessing might be bamboo yellow.  Is there any sort of a paint code anywhere on the body?  And if not any suggestions as to how to determine the original color?

By the way, this is my first Crosley and the first vehicle I have ever tried to restore.  It takes time but it is really a blast!

Thanks for any help you folks can offer.

Bill in Los Angeles

wpaxt@...

Will do and thanks for the advice.  As to the color, I'm really an all original guy and I just think it would be cool to have it be the original color.

Bill

Jim Bollman

Another good place to look is the back side of the glove box door and around all the edges of the dash,

Welcome to the world of Crosley.

Jim Liberty

I am new to Crosley too, but not new to restorations. I don't know about paint codes, but you can usually find some evidence in a hidden place on the car. Good luck.     ......Jim.

On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 8:24 AM wpaxt via groups.io <wpaxt=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have a 1947 Round Side that I am restoring and I need some help with ID'ing the paint. The previous owner had the body media blasted and then covered it with grey primer and a scattershot burgundy topcoat to  keep the metal from rusting.  Therefore I have no evidence of the original color.  The previous owner's mother thought it was yellow which I was guessing might be bamboo yellow.  Is there any sort of a paint code anywhere on the body?  And if not any suggestions as to how to determine the original color?

By the way, this is my first Crosley and the first vehicle I have ever tried to restore.  It takes time but it is really a blast!

Thanks for any help you folks can offer.

Bill in Los Angeles

Kenn Cahill

Any chance of finding any original paint overspray on the inside of the dashboard?

Robert Kirk

All mentioned are good possible clues.  Inside door hinges, under dash and under anything attached to the firewall, may help.

Jim Liberty

Robert, I'm finishing the elect. on the truck. Should be on the road at the end of Sept.   .....Jim.

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 9:20 AM Robert Kirk via groups.io <kirkbrit=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
All mentioned are good possible clues.  Inside door hinges, under dash and under anything attached to the firewall, may help.

wpaxt@...

Hi everyone. Well I couldn't find any hint of the original color anywhere that was suggested.  It has been picked clean!  But I'm still nosing around, will let you all know if I come up with something.  Really appreciate the advice and suggestions.

Bill

Jim Liberty

Here is what I did. Paint It what you like.    ......Jim.