Topics

1947 Crosley Steering Issue

wpaxt@...

I have been an owner of my first Crosley for exactly 2 weeks, a 1947 round side pickup.  When the car was being unloaded from the trailer the steering went out.  The wheel turns but the wheels don't.  You can hear something trying to engage and turn in the front end but being a novice with these cars I'm not quite sure what it can be.  I hope to be able to get underneath it this weekend to take a look but wondered if anyone in the group has an idea as to what the problem is.

Many thanks and it's a privilege for me to own one of these very cool vehicles.

Bill

crosleyshortsport

At the end of the steering column is the steering box. I am wondering uf the adjustment screw is either out way to far or gone. You will see on the face of the box, a nut to loosen slightly, there should be a straight blade screw showing inside the nut  hold the loosened nut with your wrench and with a flat screwdriver, adjust inward to tighten steering. Not too tight though or you will not be able to turn the wheel. It is best to have the car on a jack while working on the steering. That way there is no pressure or cramping on the wheel. Let us know how you make out.

On Sep 22, 2017 1:29 PM, "wpaxt via Groups.Io" <wpaxt=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have been an owner of my first Crosley for exactly 2 weeks, a 1947 round side pickup.  When the car was being unloaded from the trailer the steering went out.  The wheel turns but the wheels don't.  You can hear something trying to engage and turn in the front end but being a novice with these cars I'm not quite sure what it can be.  I hope to be able to get underneath it this weekend to take a look but wondered if anyone in the group has an idea as to what the problem is.

Bill

Jim Bollman

The fact that it went on the trailer with steering and came off without steering, I wonder if you had the chain around part of the steering linkage when you loaded and tightening down the chains or straps bent or broke something like the drag link or tie rod assembly.

Should be obvious once you can get under it.

Jim...

On Sep 22, 2017, at 11:10 AM, wpaxt via Groups.Io <wpaxt@...> wrote:

Bill

Jim Bollman

wpaxt (Bill) - Did you figure out what was wrong with your steering?

Barry Smedley

I have been talking with him, the key is gone, I am going to send him one and also some other parts to get him started. Very nice man.

Barry Smedley

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Bollman
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 2:19 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] 1947 Crosley Steering Issue

• “This message contains CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above. Any review, disclosure, distribution, copying or use of the information by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by immediate reply and delete the original message." (English) • "Ce message contient des informations confidentielles destinées uniquement à l'usage du(des) destinataire(s) nommé(s) ci-dessus. Toute consultation, distribution, copie et utilisation du contenu de ce message est strictement prohibée. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, SVP avisez l'expéditeur par réponse immédiate et effacez le message original." (French)

Jim Bollman

The steering wheel key?

Jim...

On Nov 7, 2017, at 2:21 PM, Barry Smedley <BSmedley@...> wrote:

I have been talking with him, the key is gone, I am going to send him one and also some other parts to get him started. Very nice man.

Barry Smedley

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Bollman
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 2:19 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] 1947 Crosley Steering Issue

• “This message contains CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above. Any review, disclosure, distribution, copying or use of the information by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by immediate reply and delete the original message." (English) • "Ce message contient des informations confidentielles destinées uniquement à l'usage du(des) destinataire(s) nommé(s) ci-dessus. Toute consultation, distribution, copie et utilisation du contenu de ce message est strictement prohibée. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, SVP avisez l'expéditeur par réponse immédiate et effacez le message original." (French)

Barry Smedley

yes

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Bollman
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 2:40 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] 1947 Crosley Steering Issue

The steering wheel key?

Jim...

On Nov 7, 2017, at 2:21 PM, Barry Smedley <BSmedley@...> wrote:

Barry Smedley

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Bollman
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 2:19 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] 1947 Crosley Steering Issue