Topics

155/80R12 on 1952 Wagon

Ken Ballein

Hi, I am looking for tires for my 1952 Super Wagon.  I’ve tried to find 145/80R12 with no luck.

I saw a few posts where people are using 155/80R12.  I was hoping to get more info.  Anyone using this size?  Any issues.

The 155/80R12 seem to more commonly available.

Thanks,
Ken

Ken Ballein

I just called Smith Equipment in Angola, Indiana.  Those tires are no longer available.

Any other suggestions or comments on 155/80r12?

Thanks,
Ken

Tim Hamblen

I'm looking right now on my new CD truck and it has those same tires. No problem at all.

Steve Olinger

I have run the 155/80r12 on a 50 s/w and done very well and would one rub the fenders on certain twists on the front. I am running the 155r12 on wider wheels on my super sports with the same results an occasional rub on the front fenders.
Steve

Mike Mayberry

What is the name of the vendor that sells the rims and tires packages?

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020, 6:58 AM <kballein@...> wrote:

Hi, I am looking for tires for my 1952 Super Wagon.  I’ve tried to find 145/80R12 with no luck.

I saw a few posts where people are using 155/80R12.  I was hoping to get more info.  Anyone using this size?  Any issues.

The 155/80R12 seem to more commonly available.

Thanks,
Ken

Ken Ballein

All,

Thanks for the input.  I did a chat with Hagerty Insurance and they told me that using trailer tires would not be a problem for my policy.

The vendor with that sold the wheel tire package was Smith Enterprises in Angola.  I call them and they told me the sell a lot of 4.80 and 5.30 trailer tires for Crosley.

I found a local tire shop that has 155/80r12 tires cheap and I think I will give them a try.

Thanks,
Ken

Steve

I run 4.80 trailer tires on my Crosley and have Hagerty.  Never had problem with the tires or Hagerty.

Thanks for the input.  I did a chat with Hagerty Insurance and they told me that using trailer tires would not be a problem for my policy.

The vendor with that sold the wheel tire package was Smith Enterprises in Angola.  I call them and they told me the sell a lot of 4.80 and 5.30 trailer tires for Crosley.

I found a local tire shop that has 155/80r12 tires cheap and I think I will give them a try.

Thanks,
Ken

fred holladay

  A quick look around the net says the 155/12 size fits the Geo Metro and the Suzuki original of that thing .
     Fred Holladay

What is the name of the vendor that sells the rims and tires packages?

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020, 6:58 AM <kballein@...> wrote:

Hi, I am looking for tires for my 1952 Super Wagon.  I’ve tried to find 145/80R12 with no luck.

I saw a few posts where people are using 155/80R12.  I was hoping to get more info.  Anyone using this size?  Any issues.

The 155/80R12 seem to more commonly available.

Thanks,
Ken

Jim Whittemore

145 80 R12 for 179 for four on Ebay

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020, 4:39 PM fred holladay <fvh2@...> wrote:
  A quick look around the net says the 155/12 size fits the Geo Metro and the Suzuki original of that thing .
     Fred Holladay

What is the name of the vendor that sells the rims and tires packages?

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020, 6:58 AM <kballein@...> wrote:

Hi, I am looking for tires for my 1952 Super Wagon.  I’ve tried to find 145/80R12 with no luck.

I saw a few posts where people are using 155/80R12.  I was hoping to get more info.  Anyone using this size?  Any issues.

The 155/80R12 seem to more commonly available.

Thanks,
Ken

crosleyshortsport

Tony Smith Enterprises should be able to get you what you need. He is a club member and a swell guy. Go to crosleyautoclub.com, he has his contact info in the vendor section.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020, 4:58 PM Jim Whittemore <spacecapt46@...> wrote:
145 80 R12 for 179 for four on Ebay

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020, 4:39 PM fred holladay <fvh2@...> wrote:
  A quick look around the net says the 155/12 size fits the Geo Metro and the Suzuki original of that thing .
     Fred Holladay

What is the name of the vendor that sells the rims and tires packages?

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020, 6:58 AM <kballein@...> wrote:

Hi, I am looking for tires for my 1952 Super Wagon.  I’ve tried to find 145/80R12 with no luck.

I saw a few posts where people are using 155/80R12.  I was hoping to get more info.  Anyone using this size?  Any issues.

The 155/80R12 seem to more commonly available.

Thanks,
Ken

Ken Ballein

Just insured both of my new Crosleys, a 1952 CD Super Wagon and a 1947 CC Sedan.  I confirmed again, no issues with trailer tires as far as Hagerty is concerned.

I decided to go with 5.30-12 Carlisle bias 4 ply trailer tires.  Ordered from Walmart online (39 each).  I got 4 ply tires cause the original tires were 4 ply.

I expect to bring a bunch of used original tires Wasseon in July.  I will have a host of other parts.  Got about 8 engines and all kinds of extra parts with my 2 Crosleys.  Still need to sort thru a lot of it.  I can't see needing all this stuff.

Thanks,
Ken

Spock Arnold

Ken;
     What do you have for " original " tires?
Dave Anspach

On Nov 17, 2020 2:48 PM, Ken Ballein <kballein@...> wrote:
Just insured both of my new Crosleys, a 1952 CD Super Wagon and a 1947 CC Sedan.  I confirmed again, no issues with trailer tires as far as Hagerty is concerned.

I decided to go with 5.30-12 Carlisle bias 4 ply trailer tires.  Ordered from Walmart online (39 each).  I got 4 ply tires cause the original tires were 4 ply.

I expect to bring a bunch of used original tires Wasseon in July.  I will have a host of other parts.  Got about 8 engines and all kinds of extra parts with my 2 Crosleys.  Still need to sort thru a lot of it.  I can't see needing all this stuff.

Thanks,
Ken

Ken Ballein

They are Firestone Super Champion 4.5-12 4ply.  I have at least 5 of these.  These are on my 1952 stored since 1976.

I also have some Goodyear tires (I think) on the 1947, but I didn't get the numbers.  It was in storage since 1974.

     What do you have for " original " tires?
Dave Anspach

On Nov 17, 2020 2:48 PM, Ken Ballein <kballein@...> wrote:
Just insured both of my new Crosleys, a 1952 CD Super Wagon and a 1947 CC Sedan.  I confirmed again, no issues with trailer tires as far as Hagerty is concerned.

I decided to go with 5.30-12 Carlisle bias 4 ply trailer tires.  Ordered from Walmart online (39 each).  I got 4 ply tires cause the original tires were 4 ply.

I expect to bring a bunch of used original tires Wasseon in July.  I will have a host of other parts.  Got about 8 engines and all kinds of extra parts with my 2 Crosleys.  Still need to sort thru a lot of it.  I can't see needing all this stuff.

Thanks,
Ken

Spock Arnold

Ken, where are you located?  Id be willing to trade a set of brand new radials for the deluxe champions!!
Dave Anspach

On Nov 17, 2020 3:34 PM, "Spock Arnold via groups.io" <tmkldwwj@...> wrote:
Ken;
     What do you have for " original " tires?
Dave Anspach

On Nov 17, 2020 2:48 PM, Ken Ballein <kballein@...> wrote:
Just insured both of my new Crosleys, a 1952 CD Super Wagon and a 1947 CC Sedan.  I confirmed again, no issues with trailer tires as far as Hagerty is concerned.

I decided to go with 5.30-12 Carlisle bias 4 ply trailer tires.  Ordered from Walmart online (39 each).  I got 4 ply tires cause the original tires were 4 ply.

I expect to bring a bunch of used original tires Wasseon in July.  I will have a host of other parts.  Got about 8 engines and all kinds of extra parts with my 2 Crosleys.  Still need to sort thru a lot of it.  I can't see needing all this stuff.

Thanks,
Ken

Spock Arnold

I tried to reply but not sure it went through.  Where are you located?  Id be willing to trade a set of 4 new radials for 4 deluxe champions that look like that!!
Dave Anspach

On Nov 17, 2020 5:10 PM, Ken Ballein <kballein@...> wrote:
[...]

Ken,  Price all that Crosley loot right, and you should be able to move it all at Wauseon. July 5 - 10.  2021