Topics

12v electric water pump

Andy Farley

I've been having trouble getting the water pump aligned properly behind my alternator so that the pump doesn't leak. I decided to develop an electric water pump setup. I think I've got it worked out. I'm using a Prius inverter water pump. It's supposed to provide about 5 gpm. From what I've learned from my research this should be about right. Attached is a picture of the setup. This is just a prototype. I'll let you know how it goes once I get it fired up again. It's hard to see but I've added nipples for the heater once I get it ready.

crosleyshortsport

I am curious to know how the pump will run on a 6 volt system.

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019, 1:50 PM Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
I've been having trouble getting the water pump aligned properly behind my alternator so that the pump doesn't leak. I decided to develop an electric water pump setup. I think I've got it worked out. I'm using a Prius inverter water pump. It's supposed to provide about 5 gpm. From what I've learned from my research this should be about right. Attached is a picture of the setup. This is just a prototype. I'll let you know how it goes once I get it fired up again. It's hard to see but I've added nipples for the heater once I get it ready.

Andy Farley

When I get the time I'll try running it on 6volts to see how it does. Could be a while though.

ray tooley

Very interesting

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 4:38 PM, Andy Farley
<farleya1@...> wrote:
When I get the time I'll try running it on 6volts to see how it does. Could be a while though.

Andy Farley

I finally fired it up with the Prius water pump installed and as soon as the thermostat opened up the the temp went to exactly the middle on the temp gauge. Haven't taken it on the road yet, but I think the Prius water pump is going to work well. I'll check to see how another Prius water pump that I have will work with 6 volts very soon.