Topics

12v conversion with alternator

Andy Farley

I brought a 1948 Crosley wagon that had been converted to 12v With an alternator. They installed a bolt on the back of the alternator to drive the water pump. This is not a great arrangement. Is there a wat to drive a water pump directly with the fan belt?

Doug Daniel

     Summit Racing sells 12 volt automotive water pumps (the flow rates may be too high?).  Also,  1981 to 1986 Chevettes with Diesel engines drove a vacuum pump off the rear of the alternator.  You may find that drive more refined.   Driving a vacuum pump off the rear of the alternator on a Diesel engine car was common and I am sure there are other cars whose alternators would be worth looking at.

On May 26, 2019, at 1:12 PM, farleya1@... wrote:

I brought a 1948 Crosley wagon that had been converted to 12v With an alternator. They installed a bolt on the back of the alternator to drive the water pump. This is not a great arrangement. Is there a wat to drive a water pump directly with the fan belt?

Andy Farley

I looked at Summit Racing, there are some definite possibilities there at a reasonable price. The next question is.... how many gallons per minute does a Crosley water pump produce?

I would be grateful for guidance.

Thanks
Andy Farley

Andy Farley

I figured out how to make it work. I took a piece of heavy heater hose and attached one end to the water pump. I split the other end, inserted a 7/16 socket and mounted that end to the 7/16 head bolt that comes out of the back end of the alternator shaft. I put a hose clamp around the section of hose where I inserted the socket. This holds the socket in place on the 7/16 bolt. It's solid yet flexible and drives the water pump perfectly without any leaks. Yahoo, going to Mel's Diner in Auburn CA for cruise night tomorrow night.

L.E. Hardee

I, for one, would like to see a picture of your alternator set up.  Do you know what the alternator originally came off of?

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 6:51 PM Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
I figured out how to make it work. I took a piece of heavy heater hose and attached one end to the water pump. I split the other end, inserted a 7/16 socket and mounted that end to the 7/16 head bolt that comes out of the back end of the alternator shaft. I put a hose clamp around the section of hose where I inserted the socket. This holds the socket in place on the 7/16 bolt. It's solid yet flexible and drives the water pump perfectly without any leaks. Yahoo, going to Mel's Diner in Auburn CA for cruise night tomorrow night.

Andy Farley

attached is a picture of the alternator set up. Don't know what it came off of. It is a delco 10si as far as I can tell. It appears that there was originally a sheet metal cover over where the 7/16 bolt screws in. Someone drilled a large hole through the cover.

PATRICIA GRITTI

6 volt conversions of GM SI alternators are available. They even hava a pulley that is right for Crosley fan belts. Suppliers of parts for Model A Fords sell those alternators. Also, believe Amazon sells them. Your use of rubber hose to overcome the offset between the alternator & the water pump is genius. The only challenge is center drilling the armature of the alternator to accept a 1/4"-7/16 head bolt. Thank you for sharing.
Don

On June 26, 2019 at 6:37 AM Hellbs <hollywoodhellberg@...> wrote:

Ok thanks

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019, 9:49 PM Spock Arnold via Groups.Io <tmkldwwj= yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
You will find both names in your club roster. In addition Barry is on the club web page under parts suppliers.

On Jun 25, 2019 10:16 PM, Hellbs < hollywoodhellberg@...> wrote:
Do you happen to have contact information for either of these gentlemen?  I dont think we will be able to attend nationals.

Andy Farley

My solution to the water pump drive problem works. I'm just not sure that the bolt coming out of the alternator is really strong enough.  I'm just trying to make what I bought work. I've only had my Crosley for a few months in time I'll figure out a better method. Never had a Crosley before but I love these little cars.

crosleyshortsport

Andy,  Glad you are enjoying working on the Crosley.  We are here to help in any way we can. Please post anything that you think will be beneficial to others.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019, 12:02 PM Andy Farley <farleya1@...> wrote:
My solution to the water pump drive problem works. I'm just not sure that the bolt coming out of the alternator is really strong enough.  I'm just trying to make what I bought work. I've only had my Crosley for a few months in time I'll figure out a better method. Never had a Crosley before but I love these little cars.

PATRICIA GRITTI

Jumping on this general invitation to participate in the Crosley blog. Unfortunately, have CRS disease. That is why I join into existing threads & haven't started my own thread in a long time. If anyone would help me restore my ID & password I'd be very greatful.
Don Gritti

On June 26, 2019 at 12:45 PM crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:

Andy,  Glad you are enjoying working on the Crosley.  We are here to help in any way we can. Please post anything that you think will be beneficial to others.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019, 12:02 PM Andy Farley < farleya1@...> wrote:
My solution to the water pump drive problem works. I'm just not sure that the bolt coming out of the alternator is really strong enough.  I'm just trying to make what I bought work. I've only had my Crosley for a few months in time I'll figure out a better method. Never had a Crosley before but I love these little cars.

L.E. Hardee

Andy, from the picture it appears that the water pump shaft is not quite in line with the alternator bolt.  I couldn't tell exactly which direction due to the angle of the picture.  While the flex hose coupling allows it to work, you will put side loading on the water pump bearings and seal.  If you run the car a lot, it can cause leaks and eventual water pump failure.  A spacer of the right thickness between the water pump and the crankcase with appropriate longer bolts would solve right to left alignment.  I am not quite sure how to solve any up and down alignment.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 1:10 PM PATRICIA GRITTI <donald-gritti@...> wrote:
[...]

You make a good point. I looked it over and while it doesn't look like shiming the water pump would work because of how previous owners mounted it, it looks like I can shim the alternator mounting bracket to get good shaft alignment. Thank you for your observation.