Date   
Re: Engine won't start

Bryan Thomas
 

Check the condenser..

------ Original Message ------
From: "Joe Lofink via Groups.Io" <lofinjos@...>
Sent: 3/09/2018 3:34:09 AM
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Engine won't start

Well been working on this all morning. Compression is up slightly but not a huge improvement. Pulled the points and cleaned them and reset to .020. Checked the insolation for the points at the distributor with my ohm meter and it was fine. Will fire occasionally but will not sustain this enough to run. Anyone around Columbus Ohio as I'll haul this to anyone that thinks they can help. Don't know what else to try.

Illinois Region Meet - This Sunday - September 9

Steve
 

The Illinois Region of the Crosley Automobile Club will have it’s annual get-together this Sunday in Utica, IL. 

 

Illinois Region Meet

September 9, 2018 – 8:00 a.m. to ??

Danny Carey Park, Utica, Illinois

$5 registration.  Potluck lunch at noon.  $5 person lunch charge covers the burgers and the pop.  Town cruise around 2:30.

 

Any questions, contact Steve Miller at brawnybug@...

 

Re: Engine won't start

Joe Brownsberger
 

What Gas are you running? Your timing seems far to advanced if your using low octane fuel. 12 degrees BTDF would be better for octane close to 100. It might be a possible vacuum leak as well.


On Sun, Sep 2, 2018, 4:37 PM Bryan Thomas <bthomas@...> wrote:
Check the condenser..

------ Original Message ------
From: "Joe Lofink via Groups.Io" <lofinjos@...>
Sent: 3/09/2018 3:34:09 AM
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Engine won't start

Well been working on this all morning. Compression is up slightly but not a huge improvement. Pulled the points and cleaned them and reset to .020. Checked the insolation for the points at the distributor with my ohm meter and it was fine. Will fire occasionally but will not sustain this enough to run. Anyone around Columbus Ohio as I'll haul this to anyone that thinks they can help. Don't know what else to try.

Re: Engine won't start

Clell
 

Carefully try towing it.  That is often the secret to get some difficult engine running, especially after sitting a long time.  Have had engines that have sat for over 20 years that would fire but not keep running.  After pulling to get the engine running for the first time it always started with the battery.  It is almost like the starting system takes so much juice that there isn't enough to make the engine run.  Towing avoids that problem.


On 9/2/2018 9:20 PM, Joe Brownsberger wrote:
What Gas are you running? Your timing seems far to advanced if your using low octane fuel. 12 degrees BTDF would be better for octane close to 100. It might be a possible vacuum leak as well.

On Sun, Sep 2, 2018, 4:37 PM Bryan Thomas <bthomas@...> wrote:
Check the condenser..

------ Original Message ------
From: "Joe Lofink via Groups.Io" <lofinjos@...>
Sent: 3/09/2018 3:34:09 AM
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Engine won't start

Well been working on this all morning. Compression is up slightly but not a huge improvement. Pulled the points and cleaned them and reset to .020. Checked the insolation for the points at the distributor with my ohm meter and it was fine. Will fire occasionally but will not sustain this enough to run. Anyone around Columbus Ohio as I'll haul this to anyone that thinks they can help. Don't know what else to try.

Re: Engine won't start

Richard Williams
 

First I would make sure that it was wired right. The front most should be #1 then counter clock wise with the rest. Its easy to get the wires in clock wise. Remove the cap and with power on turn over the engine watching to see if it sparks the points every time they open.


On Sunday, September 2, 2018 8:41 PM, Clell <cballard@...> wrote:


Carefully try towing it.  That is often the secret to get some difficult engine running, especially after sitting a long time.  Have had engines that have sat for over 20 years that would fire but not keep running.  After pulling to get the engine running for the first time it always started with the battery.  It is almost like the starting system takes so much juice that there isn't enough to make the engine run.  Towing avoids that problem.

On 9/2/2018 9:20 PM, Joe Brownsberger wrote:
What Gas are you running? Your timing seems far to advanced if your using low octane fuel. 12 degrees BTDF would be better for octane close to 100. It might be a possible vacuum leak as well.

On Sun, Sep 2, 2018, 4:37 PM Bryan Thomas <bthomas@...> wrote:
Check the condenser..

------ Original Message ------
From: "Joe Lofink via Groups.Io" <lofinjos@...>
Sent: 3/09/2018 3:34:09 AM
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Engine won't start

Well been working on this all morning. Compression is up slightly but not a huge improvement. Pulled the points and cleaned them and reset to .020. Checked the insolation for the points at the distributor with my ohm meter and it was fine. Will fire occasionally but will not sustain this enough to run. Anyone around Columbus Ohio as I'll haul this to anyone that thinks they can help. Don't know what else to try.



Re: Engine won't start

Joe Lofink
 

Got it started! Went through my box of NOS parts and found an Echlin condenser put it on and she fired right up. Didn't stay running but I had the hood off and only had fuel in the carburator bowl but this is the first time it actually fired. Motor sounded nice. I'll remount the hood and the fuel tank and try for some fine tuning. Keep the Chinese parts in China.

Re: Engine won't start

Gabriel Haddad
 

Fantastic! Glad that helped.


On Mon, Sep 3, 2018, 9:42 AM Joe Lofink via Groups.Io <lofinjos=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Got it started! Went through my box of NOS parts and found an Echlin condenser put it on and she fired right up. Didn't stay running but I had the hood off and only had fuel in the carburator bowl but this is the first time it actually fired. Motor sounded nice. I'll remount the hood and the fuel tank and try for some fine tuning. Keep the Chinese parts in China.

Re: Engine won't start

L.E. Hardee
 

Or the oil sitting in the cylinders finally worked to loosen the rings????  You said you had good fire in the plugs before. 

Regarding the towing idea, I agree about that working.  Have done that many times.   Same principal as using the 12 volts on the starter to crank, leaving the 6 volts to do the ignition.  Spin the engine faster to increase compression.  

Re: Engine won't start

Mike
 

Good to hear she fired up keep us posted!

On Sep 3, 2018, at 9:58 AM, Gabriel Haddad <super51.g100@...> wrote:

Fantastic! Glad that helped.

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018, 9:42 AM Joe Lofink via Groups.Io <lofinjos=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Got it started! Went through my box of NOS parts and found an Echlin condenser put it on and she fired right up. Didn't stay running but I had the hood off and only had fuel in the carburator bowl but this is the first time it actually fired. Motor sounded nice. I'll remount the hood and the fuel tank and try for some fine tuning. Keep the Chinese parts in China.

Re: Engine won't start

crosleyshortsport
 

Glad you were able to get it going Joe !  These Crosleys sure can be exasperating sometimes !  Glad to see so many folks getting them going again !


On Mon, Sep 3, 2018, 11:44 AM Mike via Groups.Io <seller432=aim.com@groups.io> wrote:
Good to hear she fired up keep us posted!

On Sep 3, 2018, at 9:58 AM, Gabriel Haddad <super51.g100@...> wrote:

Fantastic! Glad that helped.

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018, 9:42 AM Joe Lofink via Groups.Io <lofinjos=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Got it started! Went through my box of NOS parts and found an Echlin condenser put it on and she fired right up. Didn't stay running but I had the hood off and only had fuel in the carburator bowl but this is the first time it actually fired. Motor sounded nice. I'll remount the hood and the fuel tank and try for some fine tuning. Keep the Chinese parts in China.

For Sale: 3/4 Midget Greenville SC

L.E. Hardee
 

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 4:05 PM, crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:
Glad you were able to get it going Joe !  These Crosleys sure can be exasperating sometimes !  Glad to see so many folks getting them going again !

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018, 11:44 AM Mike via Groups.Io <seller432=aim.com@groups.io> wrote:
Good to hear she fired up keep us posted!

On Sep 3, 2018, at 9:58 AM, Gabriel Haddad <super51.g100@...> wrote:

Fantastic! Glad that helped.

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018, 9:42 AM Joe Lofink via Groups.Io <lofinjos=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Got it started! Went through my box of NOS parts and found an Echlin condenser put it on and she fired right up. Didn't stay running but I had the hood off and only had fuel in the carburator bowl but this is the first time it actually fired. Motor sounded nice. I'll remount the hood and the fuel tank and try for some fine tuning. Keep the Chinese parts in China.


Re: Converting 6" mechanical brakes to hydraulic (not going to 9" but keeping the 6" drums)

Mike Mayberry
 

What are the measurements of the wheel cyls? I assume the 3/4 is the bore. Solving this would be great for everyone with 6in brakes!!!

Re: Converting 6" mechanical brakes to hydraulic (not going to 9" but keeping the 6" drums)

Tim Hamblen
 

These are 5/8 bore. I believe some OEM Coopers were 1/2 ". These are not OEM but aftermarket . I got them from Moss Motors, they had the OEM type but they are much more $$$$

Re: Speedometer Repair

Andy Drake
 

I'd like to thank everyone for their speedometer tops and tricks.  I did a little of all the above: a few drops of 3-in-1 in the little hole on the outlet, little more on the bushing, and lubed the cable with graphite. So far, so good: no more squealing and (relatively) smoother needle rise and fall.  

In case anyone else needs to do this, the cordless power drill trick works very well -- be sure to set it to low in reverse. Oil everything on the speedometer and then gently spin it around . Going hog wild is not necessary as the speedometer will free up relatively quickly.

I also found rubbing the chrome bezel with a little tinfoil dampened with water will remove alot of surface corrosion and brighten things up. A great trick I used on bicycles.

Re: Speedometer Repair

crosleyshortsport
 

Glad you were able to straighten it out . You really are "Handy Andy "  😎


On Tue, Sep 4, 2018, 1:47 PM Andy Drake <drakeap@...> wrote:
I'd like to thank everyone for their speedometer tops and tricks.  I did a little of all the above: a few drops of 3-in-1 in the little hole on the outlet, little more on the bushing, and lubed the cable with graphite. So far, so good: no more squealing and (relatively) smoother needle rise and fall.  

In case anyone else needs to do this, the cordless power drill trick works very well -- be sure to set it to low in reverse. Oil everything on the speedometer and then gently spin it around . Going hog wild is not necessary as the speedometer will free up relatively quickly.

I also found rubbing the chrome bezel with a little tinfoil dampened with water will remove alot of surface corrosion and brighten things up. A great trick I used on bicycles.

Re: Speedometer Repair

Milford Brown
 

Andy,

Tinfoil is probably hard  to find these days; did you, just like some of the TV cooks, really mean aluminum foil?  If so, sounds like a trick that would be useful on lots of things.

Milford



From: Andy Drake <drakeap@...>
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 10:47 AM
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Speedometer Repair

I'd like to thank everyone for their speedometer tops and tricks.  I did a little of all the above: a few drops of 3-in-1 in the little hole on the outlet, little more on the bushing, and lubed the cable with graphite. So far, so good: no more squealing and (relatively) smoother needle rise and fall.  

In case anyone else needs to do this, the cordless power drill trick works very well -- be sure to set it to low in reverse. Oil everything on the speedometer and then gently spin it around . Going hog wild is not necessary as the speedometer will free up relatively quickly.

I also found rubbing the chrome bezel with a little tinfoil dampened with water will remove a lot of surface corrosion and brighten things up. A great trick I used on bicycles.


Re: Speedometer Repair

Andy Drake
 

Milford,

Yes -- great catch. The bargain basement rolls of aluminum foil when torn off and crunched up work very nicely to clean up all manner of surface corrosion from brightwork as long as you don't have too high of an expectation. Surface rust will be reduced, but pitting remains the same. 

I tear off a little bit of foil at a time and ball it up. When dampened with a small amount of water and rubbed over chrome or brightwork very gently, it removes the obvious imperfections without doing damage to the chrome itself. 

As always, your mileage may vary. Thanks!

Re: Speedometer Repair

seb fontana
 

I have heard that when Aluminum folded in the shape of a triangle hat and then......

MICHIANA REGION FALL MEET - SEPTEMBER 15

Jim Aschliman
 

Join us this Saturday at Smith Enterprises, 101 McKinley Street in Angola, Indiana for the Michiana Region Fall Crosley Meet.  Bring your car, project or parts to sell/trade. Tony Smith will be cooking lunch (meat item) so bring a side dish and join us.  we will start at 9:00 AM and close down at 3:00 PM.  For planning purposes, please RSVP to Jim Aschliman at jaschliman(at)outlook.com or call 260 452-9680 desiring to have lunch with us.  Otherwise show up and have fun!

Re: MICHIANA REGION FALL MEET - SEPTEMBER 15

Todd Swangstu
 

Hi, I am from Toledo and was pondering coming to the show this weekend.  About how many cars show up to this?  Thanks! Todd


On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 1:55 PM Jim Aschliman <jaschliman@...> wrote:
Join us this Saturday at Smith Enterprises, 101 McKinley Street in Angola, Indiana for the Michiana Region Fall Crosley Meet.  Bring your car, project or parts to sell/trade. Tony Smith will be cooking lunch (meat item) so bring a side dish and join us.  we will start at 9:00 AM and close down at 3:00 PM.  For planning purposes, please RSVP to Jim Aschliman at jaschliman(at)outlook.com or call 260 452-9680 desiring to have lunch with us.  Otherwise show up and have fun!