Date   
Re: Restoration advice

Mike
 

You might want to look into adding some door bars&cross bracing. My floor and rockers need replacing so I had to brace everything up before pulling body. 

On Aug 26, 2018, at 11:55 AM, Joe Brownsberger <jbraunsberg@...> wrote:

Hi everyone, I am looking to move forward in the restoration process and I think im ready to pull the body off the chassis. I'm looking for insight and advice as to things I've missed or things I'll need to know moving forward. All that I'very done so far is remove windows and seats, nothing else. I'll have more pictures if needed.

Attachments:

Re: Restoration advice

crosleyshortsport
 

Joe,  Looks like you have a pretty straight wagon to start with. I started my '48 wagon 25 months ago. I will post a puc for you. I recommend pulling the steering wheel next, then the radiator and grill. That way the steering box and column will pull out through the grill area. Remember to put it back in before the radiator and grill when at that point. There are two body bolts at the rear lower gate that go into the frame, three more at each door sill that go into the frame outriggers. And two more that tie the fenders to the frame on each side of the engine bay. 12 total. When I removed the rear side glass, I did not realize the frames came out. There were six tiny screws holding them in, they were put through the weatherstrip into the frame and body. Though I am not a professional at all, I have been playing with Crosley for 47 years. Contact me anytime.  Jeffrey

On Aug 26, 2018 3:02 PM, "Mike via Groups.Io" <seller432=aim.com@groups.io> wrote:
You might want to look into adding some door bars&cross bracing. My floor and rockers need replacing so I had to brace everything up before pulling body. 

On Aug 26, 2018, at 11:55 AM, Joe Brownsberger <jbraunsberg@...> wrote:

Hi everyone, I am looking to move forward in the restoration process and I think im ready to pull the body off the chassis. I'm looking for insight and advice as to things I've missed or things I'll need to know moving forward. All that I'very done so far is remove windows and seats, nothing else. I'll have more pictures if needed.

Attachments:


Re: Restoration advice

parkhunter@...
 

Jeffrey’s list of the body bolts is great. Also, take off the rockets before lifting the body - I learned the hard way while trying to reinstall my body that they don’t clear the frame outriggers. 

Also, if you put a strap the the roof and try to lift, the A pillars may start to separate. 

This was dumb. Don’t do it this way...

- Park




Re: Restoration advice

parkhunter@...
 

Rockers, not rockets. (Curse you, autocorrect!) This isn’t Janes Bond’s Crosley. 

- Park

Re: Restoration advice

nobadrivers
 

Great and valuable information here!!!  Park,  if you don't recommend lifting with the strap from the roof what do you recommend?  A bunch of friends helping lift it off?  It's kind of hard to tell from the picture what's going on unless it's just the two guys lifting the body or is it the two guys helping lift with the body strap?

Re: Restoration advice

parkhunter@...
 

I don’t have a good recommendation. By the time we discovered the strap was a bad idea, we had to improvise with two people teetering on stools who could barely support the car’s body. Then we discovered the rockers wouldn’t clear, prolonging our agony. We survived, but barely. 

Probably four people could lift the body without too much trouble, but I’d recommend asking wiser heads on this list for their advice. 

Good luck!

- Park

Re: Restoration advice

nobadrivers
 

Thank you for the good advice you gave us concerning the rocker panels and "A" pillars. This information can save other members the trouble that you experienced.  I also have a Ford Model Y English car and looking through the Model Y club forum I belong to it shows them lifting the body off using the automotive lift arms.  I have a lift and this is what I was going to do with my Crosley Wagon until you mentioned the pillars not being strong enough. I guess I will not use this method. It must be the Model Y A pillars are much stronger.  Maybe making some sort of struts or supports to attach along side of the pillars is the way to go so that the strap method or the lift arm method can still be used.  

Re: Restoration advice

crosleyshortsport
 

Joe,  Good thing Park mentioned the rockers, I forgot that part. Also, I had built two large sawhorses on casters for the body. I am not kidding, my 14 year old daughter and I lifted the body on to the sawhorses.


On Mon, Aug 27, 2018, 7:40 AM <parkhunter@...> wrote:
I don’t have a good recommendation. By the time we discovered the strap was a bad idea, we had to improvise with two people teetering on stools who could barely support the car’s body. Then we discovered the rockers wouldn’t clear, prolonging our agony. We survived, but barely. 

Probably four people could lift the body without too much trouble, but I’d recommend asking wiser heads on this list for their advice. 

Good luck!

- Park

Re: Restoration advice

Barry Smedley
 

I just used a cherry picker a 4x4 and chain. No problem.

 

   Barry Smedley

 

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of nobadrivers
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2018 9:05 AM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Restoration advice

 

Thank you for the good advice you gave us concerning the rocker panels and "A" pillars. This information can save other members the trouble that you experienced.  I also have a Ford Model Y English car and looking through the Model Y club forum I belong to it shows them lifting the body off using the automotive lift arms.  I have a lift and this is what I was going to do with my Crosley Wagon until you mentioned the pillars not being strong enough. I guess I will not use this method. It must be the Model Y A pillars are much stronger.  Maybe making some sort of struts or supports to attach along side of the pillars is the way to go so that the strap method or the lift arm method can still be used.  

Attachments:

This message contains confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above. Any review, disclosure, distribution, copying or use of the information by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by immediate reply and delete the original message. (English) Ce message contient des informations confidentielles destinées uniquement à l'usage du(des) destinataire(s) nommé(s) ci-dessus. Toute consultation, distribution, copie et utilisation du contenu de ce message est strictement prohibée. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, SVP avisez l'expéditeur par réponse immédiate et effacez le message original. (French)

Re: Restoration advice

Joe Brownsberger
 

Thank you all for the helpful tips.


On Mon, Aug 27, 2018, 12:06 PM Barry Smedley <BSmedley@...> wrote:

I just used a cherry picker a 4x4 and chain. No problem.

 

   Barry Smedley

 

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of nobadrivers
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2018 9:05 AM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Restoration advice

 

Thank you for the good advice you gave us concerning the rocker panels and "A" pillars. This information can save other members the trouble that you experienced.  I also have a Ford Model Y English car and looking through the Model Y club forum I belong to it shows them lifting the body off using the automotive lift arms.  I have a lift and this is what I was going to do with my Crosley Wagon until you mentioned the pillars not being strong enough. I guess I will not use this method. It must be the Model Y A pillars are much stronger.  Maybe making some sort of struts or supports to attach along side of the pillars is the way to go so that the strap method or the lift arm method can still be used.  

Attachments:

This message contains confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above. Any review, disclosure, distribution, copying or use of the information by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by immediate reply and delete the original message. (English) Ce message contient des informations confidentielles destinées uniquement à l'usage du(des) destinataire(s) nommé(s) ci-dessus. Toute consultation, distribution, copie et utilisation du contenu de ce message est strictement prohibée. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, SVP avisez l'expéditeur par réponse immédiate et effacez le message original. (French)

Converting 6" mechanical brakes to hydraulic (not going to 9" but keeping the 6" drums)

Tim Hamblen
 

Looking thru an old Quarterly last night I saw a picture of a conversion that was sold years ago (Jim B put the picture in there) and Jim was asking if anyone had seen one. It used a small wheel cylinder. Well, it got me to thinking and researching and I found there are very small wheel cylinders on the market for the old Mini Coopers. 1//2 and 3/4 " bores.Jim's picture seems to show that the old adjusting system was reused and the cylinder up top replacing the round piece at top that the shoes went under. At first glance it appears doable .The wheel cylinders are fairly cheap, under 20 bucks, even under 15. I'm thinking of ordering one to use on some old backing plates to fab something up.The add says it uses some standard Lockheed / Wagner parts too. Has anyone ever seen one of these old systems or know of someone doing the retrofit ? With the scarcity of 9" brakes now it might be a viable fix.

Re: Converting 6" mechanical brakes to hydraulic (not going to 9" but keeping the 6" drums)

Jim Bollman
 

Here is the picture Tim is referring too. I did some more digging and found some pictures Ron Marson sent me back a few years. They were on one of his cars. If Tim's project goes forward I have posted in the Crosley-Gang Restoration Photos an adapter to put the master Cylinder on a mechanical brake car, that the factory supplied that requires minimum modification. It would be easy to make for a fabricator.

Jim...




On Aug 29, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim@...> wrote:

Looking thru an old Quarterly last night I saw a picture of a conversion that was sold years ago (Jim B put the picture in there) and Jim was asking if anyone had seen one. It used a small wheel cylinder. Well, it got me to thinking and researching and I found there are very small wheel cylinders on the market for the old Mini Coopers. 1//2 and 3/4 " bores.Jim's picture seems to show that the old adjusting system was reused and the cylinder up top replacing the round piece at top that the shoes went under. At first glance it appears doable .The wheel cylinders are fairly cheap, under 20 bucks, even under 15. I'm thinking of ordering one to use on some old backing plates to fab something up.The add says it uses some standard Lockheed / Wagner parts too. Has anyone ever seen one of these old systems or know of someone doing the retrofit ? With the scarcity of 9" brakes now it might be a viable fix.

Re: Converting 6" mechanical brakes to hydraulic (not going to 9" but keeping the 6" drums)

Jeremy Rutherford
 

Very interesting project.  This seems like it would be a good offering from one of the suppliers if a kit could be put together.  Might have just been ahead of its time before.


On Aug 29, 2018, at 12:00 PM, Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:

Here is the picture Tim is referring too. I did some more digging and found some pictures Ron Marson sent me back a few years. They were on one of his cars. If Tim's project goes forward I have posted in the Crosley-Gang Restoration Photos an adapter to put the master Cylinder on a mechanical brake car, that the factory supplied that requires minimum modification. It would be easy to make for a fabricator.

Jim...




On Aug 29, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim@...> wrote:

Looking thru an old Quarterly last night I saw a picture of a conversion that was sold years ago (Jim B put the picture in there) and Jim was asking if anyone had seen one. It used a small wheel cylinder. Well, it got me to thinking and researching and I found there are very small wheel cylinders on the market for the old Mini Coopers. 1//2 and 3/4 " bores.Jim's picture seems to show that the old adjusting system was reused and the cylinder up top replacing the round piece at top that the shoes went under. At first glance it appears doable .The wheel cylinders are fairly cheap, under 20 bucks, even under 15. I'm thinking of ordering one to use on some old backing plates to fab something up.The add says it uses some standard Lockheed / Wagner parts too. Has anyone ever seen one of these old systems or know of someone doing the retrofit ? With the scarcity of 9" brakes now it might be a viable fix.

Attachments:

Re: Converting 6" mechanical brakes to hydraulic (not going to 9" but keeping the 6" drums)

Tim Hamblen
 

Looks pretty straight forward. I believe the Cooper cylinders are much smaller than this one. I've got a spare backing plate soaking. Gonna order a cylinder. I thought there might be some added retainers of some sort. Wonder if Ron could update this project ?

Re: Converting 6" mechanical brakes to hydraulic (not going to 9" but keeping the 6" drums)

Tim Hamblen
 

I'd also want to explore using the other style of backing plate, the one that has the large "countersunk"  bolt for adjusting.

Re: Converting 6" mechanical brakes to hydraulic (not going to 9" but keeping the 6" drums)

Tim Hamblen
 

Jim, do you know if Ron used one of the kits in the ad or he fabbed it up himself "

Re: Converting 6" mechanical brakes to hydraulic (not going to 9" but keeping the 6" drums)

Jim Bollman
 

From the short note Ron sent me 9 years ago, it sounds like they were on the car when he bought it. Ron is a member of Crosley-Gang but I don't know if he looks at it often. I'll send him a note.

Jim...

On Aug 29, 2018, at 2:09 PM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim@...> wrote:

Jim, do you know if Ron used one of the kits in the ad or he fabbed it up himself "

Re: Converting 6" mechanical brakes to hydraulic (not going to 9" but keeping the 6" drums)

Steve
 

I had a set of those conversions that I sold at Wauseon in 2010.  Required making a slight modification to the brake shoes as well.    In the 90’s Joey DeLorenzo did a neat conversion of 6 inch to disc.  He turned down the 6 inch drum to make it a hub for disc brake rotor.  I believe the disc brake was off a Vega or a Fiesta.  He wrote an article for the Quarterly at the time.

 

 

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Bollman
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 12:00 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Converting 6" mechanical brakes to hydraulic (not going to 9" but keeping the 6" drums)

 

Here is the picture Tim is referring too. I did some more digging and found some pictures Ron Marson sent me back a few years. They were on one of his cars. If Tim's project goes forward I have posted in the Crosley-Gang Restoration Photos an adapter to put the master Cylinder on a mechanical brake car, that the factory supplied that requires minimum modification. It would be easy to make for a fabricator.

 

Jim...

 

 

 

On Aug 29, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim@...> wrote:

 

Looking thru an old Quarterly last night I saw a picture of a conversion that was sold years ago (Jim B put the picture in there) and Jim was asking if anyone had seen one. It used a small wheel cylinder. Well, it got me to thinking and researching and I found there are very small wheel cylinders on the market for the old Mini Coopers. 1//2 and 3/4 " bores.Jim's picture seems to show that the old adjusting system was reused and the cylinder up top replacing the round piece at top that the shoes went under. At first glance it appears doable .The wheel cylinders are fairly cheap, under 20 bucks, even under 15. I'm thinking of ordering one to use on some old backing plates to fab something up.The add says it uses some standard Lockheed / Wagner parts too. Has anyone ever seen one of these old systems or know of someone doing the retrofit ? With the scarcity of 9" brakes now it might be a viable fix.

 

Re: Converting 6" mechanical brakes to hydraulic (not going to 9" but keeping the 6" drums)

Steve
 

Also about 30 years ago, Bert Merema of Fulton, Illinois did fab his own set of wheel cylinders and converted a 48 to hydraulic.  Of course Bert was a master machinist and turned his own wheel cylinders.

 

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 6:01 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Converting 6" mechanical brakes to hydraulic (not going to 9" but keeping the 6" drums)

 

I had a set of those conversions that I sold at Wauseon in 2010.  Required making a slight modification to the brake shoes as well.    In the 90’s Joey DeLorenzo did a neat conversion of 6 inch to disc.  He turned down the 6 inch drum to make it a hub for disc brake rotor.  I believe the disc brake was off a Vega or a Fiesta.  He wrote an article for the Quarterly at the time.

 

 

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Bollman
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 12:00 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Converting 6" mechanical brakes to hydraulic (not going to 9" but keeping the 6" drums)

 

Here is the picture Tim is referring too. I did some more digging and found some pictures Ron Marson sent me back a few years. They were on one of his cars. If Tim's project goes forward I have posted in the Crosley-Gang Restoration Photos an adapter to put the master Cylinder on a mechanical brake car, that the factory supplied that requires minimum modification. It would be easy to make for a fabricator.

 

Jim...

 

 

 

On Aug 29, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io <flinttim@...> wrote:

 

Looking thru an old Quarterly last night I saw a picture of a conversion that was sold years ago (Jim B put the picture in there) and Jim was asking if anyone had seen one. It used a small wheel cylinder. Well, it got me to thinking and researching and I found there are very small wheel cylinders on the market for the old Mini Coopers. 1//2 and 3/4 " bores.Jim's picture seems to show that the old adjusting system was reused and the cylinder up top replacing the round piece at top that the shoes went under. At first glance it appears doable .The wheel cylinders are fairly cheap, under 20 bucks, even under 15. I'm thinking of ordering one to use on some old backing plates to fab something up.The add says it uses some standard Lockheed / Wagner parts too. Has anyone ever seen one of these old systems or know of someone doing the retrofit ? With the scarcity of 9" brakes now it might be a viable fix.

 

Re: Converting 6" mechanical brakes to hydraulic (not going to 9" but keeping the 6" drums)

Tim Hamblen
 

Steve, it appears that the ends of the shoes , where they contact the cylinder is what has to be altered, does it sound about right ?