Date   
Re: Crosley frame strength?

Robert Connearney
 

An acquaintance has a Crosley wagon, into which he swapped a small Datsun pushrod engine (1300 cc, I think). Uses a Metropolitan rear end (same 4" bolt circle), but it had to be narrowed. Engine is physically similar to a Sprite/Midget, which would be much easier to find, including parts. The Spridget rear end is 42" track, only 2" wider than a Crosley, which could be narrowed a bit with front wheel drive wheels (MG 1100?), all of which have the same 4" bolt circle. I think early Honda Civic wheels would also fit.

At one time, I was going to check into the possibility of using one of those 3 cylinder Japanese/Chevvy (Prism?) engines, which were small, and i think, all alloy. Hard to find now. Could consider a Ford Zetec twin cam (iron block), or Duratec (all alloy). I can't comment on the "fit" of these. Unless a candidate engine came in a rear drive application, you would need to come up with a different transmission, and need an adapter.
Bob Connearney


Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: "Mike via Groups.Io" <seller432@...>
Date: 8/9/18 9:15 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Crosley frame strength?

I was looking at mine earlier and I think with some boxing and some extra cross members it would hold up. Not looking to race or beat on it. 
  I’m trying to find specs on doner engine and trans to compare weight difference. 


On Aug 8, 2018, at 9:14 PM, Robert Connearney via Groups.Io <rconnearney@...> wrote:

There's a chap in New England that runs a Chevvy V8 powered Crosley wagon drag race car. He uses the original chassis, strengthened by boxing, and has no problems.



Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: "christopher cochrane via Groups.Io" <Pisarunner@...>
Date: 8/8/18 8:24 PM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Crosley frame strength?

Just make a new frame simple box style
image1.jpeg
On Aug 8, 2018, at 4:59 AM, L.E. Hardeeimage2.jpeg<hftsales@...> wrote:
Crosley is such a narrow body.  Wouldn't an S10 frame be too wide even if the wheel base matched?

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 1:09 AM, Vern Barker <romardb@...> wrote:
why not use the s-10 frame ?
 


Carter Carb

Joe Brownsberger
 

Hi, does anyone have a Carter 431sa carburator for sale. thats the same type i pulled off a 48' Crosley engine and it has severe pitting and holes. Now im looking for a new carb.

Re: Crosley frame strength?

Mike <seller432@...>
 

I was thinking of the s10 4cyl platform. About 120hp mated to a 5 speed manual. 98-03 has the aluminum head and plastic intake was told they weigh about 150 w/o accessories. Plus I’d have it tuned to remove emission stuff and remove a/c.  Plus these trucks rot out around here and no one likes them do to under powered so they sell cheap.  
It’s hard where I’m at as every thing was scrapped or is severely rotted and difficult to find there’s 1 junkyard with old cars but he’s so over priced on stuff.  



On Aug 9, 2018, at 11:38 AM, Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:

Lots of good suggestions. If you want to do a lot less work but get a little more power converting to what a lot of us call a Crosley Big Block would more than double your horse power and not add much if any weight and would require no structural changes.  For those that don't know what a CBB is, the Crosley engine continued with modification and improvements till 1972, under multiple companies. The last two turns of the crank were the Homelite 55 and Fisher Pierce Bearcat 55 outboard boat engines.  The 55s were basically the same engine, they were 59CI because of bigger bower and stroke. They put out 55hp stock and with carb and exhaust improvements can get 60-70hp with no other modifications.Takes a bit of machining to put them back into  car but a stock Crosley crankcase still works. The stock transmission and rear can be used if you don't push the burn outs and such to much.

So that gives you more acceleration, but you still have a crash box 3 speed and 5:17 rear, but the can be upgraded as you go. Under the hood, to the none Crosley expert, it will look fairly stock.

Just another option.

Jim...

On Aug 7, 2018, at 9:29 AM, Mike via Groups.Io <seller432@...> wrote:

I was thinking of doing an engine swap in my 50 sedan but don't really want to get into building a new frame.  I was thinking a gm 2.2 4cyl from a s10 pickup keeping the efi and the 5spd manual trans. I'm just not sure if the frame will support this? I was thinking of beefing up suspension components for additional weight.  

 

Re: Crosley frame strength?

nobadrivers
 

I wonder if an old Chevrolet Chevette drivetrain would be worth looking into?

Re: Carter Carb

nobadrivers
 

 I believe there is one on ebay right now item number 173386496635

Re: Carter Carb

Jim Bollman
 

The Carter you have obviously fits, not sure about the jetting for a stock engine, it may run a little rich since it was intended for a larger engine. The Crosley used two slightly different Carters, the 870S and WO 934S. I would guess our big three vendors all have rebuildable cores of the standard Crosley Carters.

Jim...


On Aug 9, 2018, at 4:18 PM, nobadrivers <scanner2@...> wrote:

173386496635

Re: Carter Carb

Spock Arnold
 

A 48 , unless I am drastically mistaken, would have had a Tillitson on it originally. 

On Aug 9, 2018 1:16 PM, Joe Brownsberger <jbraunsberg@...> wrote:
Hi, does anyone have a Carter 431sa carburator for sale. thats the same type i pulled off a 48' Crosley engine and it has severe pitting and holes. Now im looking for a new carb.

Re: Crosley frame strength?

Madeline Kay Putney
 

For what it is worth I looked into a Chevy Chevete with an automatic transmission for a Super Sport swap and it looked pretty easy. I also considered a Toyota 2TC “ hemi” style engine from the 1970s. According to all the measurements that I could make while rolling around in a junk yard looked considerably more feasable. Also those little engines are tough.




On Thursday, August 9, 2018, 3:09 PM, nobadrivers <scanner2@...> wrote:

I wonder if an old Chevrolet Chevette drivetrain would be worth looking into?

Re: Carter Carb

Joe Brownsberger
 

All the research I've come up with is that this carburetor I have would have gone on a 4 cylinder war era Willy/Jeep. The fact it ended up on a crosley doesn't surprise, with all assuming and speculations aside I figured out that the 431sa was the predecessor of the carter 934s. The 934s was a redesigned 431sa. 


On Thu, Aug 9, 2018, 5:23 PM Spock Arnold via Groups.Io <tmkldwwj=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
A 48 , unless I am drastically mistaken, would have had a Tillitson on it originally. 

On Aug 9, 2018 1:16 PM, Joe Brownsberger <jbraunsberg@...> wrote:
Hi, does anyone have a Carter 431sa carburator for sale. thats the same type i pulled off a 48' Crosley engine and it has severe pitting and holes. Now im looking for a new carb.

Re: Carter Carb

Joe Brownsberger
 

This is what I'm referring too. The same rebuild kit rebuilds all these w-o carbs and the 431s,934s, and 870s are all on the list. The only thing I don't know is if they are vehicle specific.


On Thu, Aug 9, 2018, 7:51 PM Joe Brownsberger <jbraunsberg@...> wrote:
All the research I've come up with is that this carburetor I have would have gone on a 4 cylinder war era Willy/Jeep. The fact it ended up on a crosley doesn't surprise, with all assuming and speculations aside I figured out that the 431sa was the predecessor of the carter 934s. The 934s was a redesigned 431sa. 

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018, 5:23 PM Spock Arnold via Groups.Io <tmkldwwj=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
A 48 , unless I am drastically mistaken, would have had a Tillitson on it originally. 

On Aug 9, 2018 1:16 PM, Joe Brownsberger <jbraunsberg@...> wrote:
Hi, does anyone have a Carter 431sa carburator for sale. thats the same type i pulled off a 48' Crosley engine and it has severe pitting and holes. Now im looking for a new carb.

Re: Crosley frame strength?

seb fontana
 

Remember BRAKES!!!!  I have a Homelite waiting to be retro fitted for my 47CC...Also a Spriget trans that I have figured how to adapt to T'tube and bolt to stock bell housing..Sorta have eye on AH rear axle...I haven't settled on brakes yet so I so not proceeding with engine or trans....I drive my Crosley all over the state sticking to roads that have a max speed limit of 50 mph when going far but mostly 35 mph or so so when doing errands....I just can't take the time to fix whats not broke; having too much fun just enjoying the car and a challenge to see how many times I can shift without grinding the gears..I don't think Powel envisioned that the Crosley would be be such a fun little car.!!..

Re: Carter Carb

Todd Swangstu
 

I have a spare one here...you can send me a message and I can get pics and make offer.

Todd 
oldvw@...

Re: Crosley frame strength?

Todd Swangstu
 

I am fairly new to Crosleys and just bought a wagon.  I would love to do one of the CBB conversions!  Anyone have more detailed info on this conversion and possibly a lead on one of these engines?  Thanks T

Re: Crosley frame strength?

L.E. Hardee
 

Care to share how to adapt the Spriget trans to the bell housing and the torque tube?  To me the stock Crosley transmission is the drawback to the whole car.  A good set of the 9" brakes will stop the car on a dime.  I almost had the rear axle lift off the ground in a panic stop with my 52 wagon because I had so much braking on the front axle.  But the ratio gap between 2nd gear and high is a killer.  You have to rev the engine to the extreme and even then you lug the engine when you shift to high.  And forget a quick down shift back to second with the lack of synchronization.

The Crosley engine is a low power, high rev engine.  You NEED a transmission able to keep the engine in the highest part of it's power curve to get the best out the engine for a pleasurable drive experience.  I would love to find a compact 5 or even 6 speed tranny that would fit with out butchering the car body.  I have even briefly thought about converting a motorcycle trans but the lack of reverse kinda kills that.

BTW, I am assuming that the reference to Sprigit is meaning either AH Sprite or MG Midget.  Am I correct?

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 9:48 PM, seb fontana via Groups.Io <speedoo51@...> wrote:
Remember BRAKES!!!!  I have a Homelite waiting to be retro fitted for my 47CC...Also a Spriget trans that I have figured how to adapt to T'tube and bolt to stock bell housing..Sorta have eye on AH rear axle...I haven't settled on brakes yet so I so not proceeding with engine or trans....I drive my Crosley all over the state sticking to roads that have a max speed limit of 50 mph when going far but mostly 35 mph or so so when doing errands....I just can't take the time to fix whats not broke; having too much fun just enjoying the car and a challenge to see how many times I can shift without grinding the gears..I don't think Powel envisioned that the Crosley would be be such a fun little car.!!..


Re: Crosley frame strength?

Jim Bollman
 

I know nothing about how a motorcycle transmission is integrated into the engine and how you would convert it, but I know that motorcycles with side cars have a reverse gear added, does that make the conversion doable?

Jim...

On Aug 9, 2018, at 11:01 PM, L.E. Hardee <hftsales@...> wrote:

I have even briefly thought about converting a motorcycle trans but the lack of reverse kinda kills that.

Re: Crosley frame strength?

christopher cochrane
 

Reverse on these bikes is usually an electric motor that engages the chain or belt and moves the bike in reverse slowly while it is in neutral on the transmission. 

On Aug 9, 2018, at 8:08 PM, Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:

I know nothing about how a motorcycle transmission is integrated into the engine and how you would convert it, but I know that motorcycles with side cars have a reverse gear added, does that make the conversion doable?

Jim...

On Aug 9, 2018, at 11:01 PM, L.E. Hardee <hftsales@...> wrote:

I have even briefly thought about converting a motorcycle trans but the lack of reverse kinda kills that.

Re: motorcycle reverse

paul
 

that's the way my Honda Goldwing was. the engine had to be running to keep the battery charged. that electric reverse must have pulled a lot of amperage.....
what Jim mentioned though, a friend has a late 40s Harley Davidson Servicar (3 wheeler with the box between the rear wheels), it has an actual reverse in the transmission. wish he'd get it running, it has a live rear axle and the rider must tip it onto 2 wheels to go around a corner with no differential.   Paul Rinehart

On 8/10/2018 5:26 AM, christopher cochrane via Groups.Io wrote:
Reverse on these bikes is usually an electric motor that engages the chain or belt and moves the bike in reverse slowly while it is in neutral on the transmission.

Re: Crosley frame strength?

jane altman
 

I thought I was the only one to actually drive my Crosley!  So many folks on this site only do shows : (....


For Sale: Crosley Club Quarterly Back Issues and Literature

CAC
 

If anyone one is interested.

https://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/d/crosley-literature/6668647149.html

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob & Terri" <rrohde000@...>
Subject: Crosley literature
Date: August 11, 2018 at 8:39:43 PM EDT

Sirs:
I have a collection of club issues from 1974 to 2003 that I have put up for sale on Spokane, Washington Craigslist.  If anyone in the club would like to check out my ad, just go to Spokane Craigslist.  I would be happy to ship them
if someone in the club wants them.  I no longer have my 1947 cc sedan.
Sincerely,
Robert Rohde 

FW: [Crosley-Gang] AMAZING CROSLEY AUCTION

Gary Bryant
 

Just a reminder about auction in Decatur Indiana. Nice Crosley  Cars !!! Link below in Gene Smith’s email..  What will be a good price for the cars including the race car ?(CROSLEY ONLY)

 

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of Gary Bryant
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2018 4:51 AM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] AMAZING CROSLEY AUCTION

 

THANKS HOUSTON !!!

 

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene Smith
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2018 4:50 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] AMAZING CROSLEY AUCTION

 

~Gene Smith~

just tryin’ to be helpful, in Houston

 

On Jul 13, 2018, at 1:24 PM, Gary Bryant <garybryant@...> wrote:

 

Wanted everyone to know about my Uncle’s auction coming up in Decatur In.

 

I don’t know how to send a link but here is the info to look at what he has for sale it is a live auction and online.

 

August 18 2018 9am   Krueckeberg auction company 815 Adams st. Decatur In. 46733

 

He is an amazing restoration specialist and has many many parts for sale.

 

Thanks for looking and someday I will have cars and parts for sale as I inherited my dads collection of unrestored Crosley cars and parts. Bob Bryant (DAD) >>>Paul Jr. Bryant (UNCLE)

 

Gary Bryant

Window Installer Supervisor

Exterior Building Products

6212 W. Stoner Drive

Greenfield, IN 46140

(317) 894-5300 - Office

(317) 894-6666 – Fax