Date   
Re: Looking for new parts vendors, leaking side covers, gasket set etc...

dale@servicemotors.net
 

Give service motors a call they have all the gaskets you need.  866-449-0029.


On Apr 15, 2019, at 8:49 PM, Todd Swangstu via Groups.Io <oldvw@...> wrote:

Hey folks, bought my first Crosley last summer after Nationals.  Didn't get to do much with it but start her up and put around the neighborhood.  We parked her for the winter and I went out to check on her today.  To my dismay I found green coolant sitting on the ledge around the seem between the crankcase and cylinder head assembly.  I am hoping this is possibly due to a leaking side cover or something.  Praying she didn't freeze over winter and cracked the block! 

Anyway I am looking for best vendors to deal with in buying a gasket set to try and reseal this engine.  Crossing fingers that is all that is wrong is a leaking side cover...is that a common thing?

Thanks

Todd

Re: Looking for new parts vendors, leaking side covers, gasket set etc...

Spock Arnold
 

Todd, I believe both Yankee and Service Motors have gasket sets.  You will find their contact info under vendors on the club web page.

On Apr 15, 2019 11:49 PM, "Todd Swangstu via Groups.Io" <oldvw@...> wrote:

Hey folks, bought my first Crosley last summer after Nationals.  Didn't get to do much with it but start her up and put around the neighborhood.  We parked her for the winter and I went out to check on her today.  To my dismay I found green coolant sitting on the ledge around the seem between the crankcase and cylinder head assembly.  I am hoping this is possibly due to a leaking side cover or something.  Praying she didn't freeze over winter and cracked the block! 

Anyway I am looking for best vendors to deal with in buying a gasket set to try and reseal this engine.  Crossing fingers that is all that is wrong is a leaking side cover...is that a common thing?

Thanks

Todd


Looking for new parts vendors, leaking side covers, gasket set etc...

Todd Swangstu
 

Hey folks, bought my first Crosley last summer after Nationals.  Didn't get to do much with it but start her up and put around the neighborhood.  We parked her for the winter and I went out to check on her today.  To my dismay I found green coolant sitting on the ledge around the seem between the crankcase and cylinder head assembly.  I am hoping this is possibly due to a leaking side cover or something.  Praying she didn't freeze over winter and cracked the block! 

Anyway I am looking for best vendors to deal with in buying a gasket set to try and reseal this engine.  Crossing fingers that is all that is wrong is a leaking side cover...is that a common thing?

Thanks

Todd

Re: Annual Crosley meet

crosleyshortsport
 

Here is the pre-registration form Terry. You can also look on crosleyautoclub.com and download the form AND the full schedule. Book a hotel early, this is going to be a very well attended nationsl meet. Several years ago we added the memorial picnic to the events. It is the final meal we share, outdoors, picnic style. We like to take the time to share stories of the members that have passed. You would be welcome to share your stories. 


On Tue, Apr 16, 2019, 12:19 AM Terry Mundy <terrymundy@...> wrote:

WOW!  WOW! WOW!

 

My father must have made an impression for you all to remember so many years later.  I’m glad to have went to the Nationals with him in 1997 to meet his friends.  You all are a great bunch.  😊

 

I remember helping him with several loads after he bought the dealership parts in 1972 in Kansas City, Kansas.  I know there are lots of nice parts that can be put to use.  No longer staying in storage.  They were purchased for the reason to keep them out of a landfill.  If I didn’t do everything I can to see his ambition through it would be a dishonor to him.

 

Perhaps I can try to attend this year’s 50th National and rub elbows with everyone and share stories.  Maybe even try to drag my brother along and bring the last two surviving Crosleys.  The ’51 coupe and ’52 Super Sport.  A collector that has the ability to warehouse the parts and some other that need the parts would be more than enough reason to make the drive.  Last thing I’d ever do is try to catalog and sell them on eBay.  My dad taught me quite a lot but I’d hate to pass off a part that is mislabeled.

 

What are this year’s dates and who do I need to contact for information and hotel reservations, etc??

 

Looking forward with great anticipation to seeing everyone again!

 

P.S. thanks for the photo, Dave.

 

Terry Mundy

Independence, Missouri

 

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io <Crosley-Gang@groups.io> On Behalf Of crosleyshortsport
Sent: April 15, 2019 1:11 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Annual Crosley meet

 

Here is a nice photo of your folks.

 

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019, 11:17 AM Spock Arnold via Groups.Io <tmkldwwj=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Terry; 

       First of all your father may be gone, but among us Crosley people, he is not forgotten.   I remember several conversations with him at Nationals.  There are several things you could do.  This year is the 50th anniversary of the Club and the National show should prove to be a big one.  As such you could pack everything up and bring it to The show and set up a flea market space to sell it.  You could also donate it to the club for funding of the youth project and we would sell it in our annual silent auction at Nationals.  You could offer it up as a lot to a collector or one of the parts vendors.  Or you could catalogue it and offer it piece by piece on the club site.  Finally and most troublesome there us always Ebay.

       Let us know how we can help you 

   Dave Anspach 

Attachments:

Re: Annual Crosley meet

Terry Mundy
 

WOW!  WOW! WOW!

 

My father must have made an impression for you all to remember so many years later.  I’m glad to have went to the Nationals with him in 1997 to meet his friends.  You all are a great bunch.  😊

 

I remember helping him with several loads after he bought the dealership parts in 1972 in Kansas City, Kansas.  I know there are lots of nice parts that can be put to use.  No longer staying in storage.  They were purchased for the reason to keep them out of a landfill.  If I didn’t do everything I can to see his ambition through it would be a dishonor to him.

 

Perhaps I can try to attend this year’s 50th National and rub elbows with everyone and share stories.  Maybe even try to drag my brother along and bring the last two surviving Crosleys.  The ’51 coupe and ’52 Super Sport.  A collector that has the ability to warehouse the parts and some other that need the parts would be more than enough reason to make the drive.  Last thing I’d ever do is try to catalog and sell them on eBay.  My dad taught me quite a lot but I’d hate to pass off a part that is mislabeled.

 

What are this year’s dates and who do I need to contact for information and hotel reservations, etc??

 

Looking forward with great anticipation to seeing everyone again!

 

P.S. thanks for the photo, Dave.

 

Terry Mundy

Independence, Missouri

 

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io <Crosley-Gang@groups.io> On Behalf Of crosleyshortsport
Sent: April 15, 2019 1:11 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Annual Crosley meet

 

Here is a nice photo of your folks.

 

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019, 11:17 AM Spock Arnold via Groups.Io <tmkldwwj=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Terry; 

       First of all your father may be gone, but among us Crosley people, he is not forgotten.   I remember several conversations with him at Nationals.  There are several things you could do.  This year is the 50th anniversary of the Club and the National show should prove to be a big one.  As such you could pack everything up and bring it to The show and set up a flea market space to sell it.  You could also donate it to the club for funding of the youth project and we would sell it in our annual silent auction at Nationals.  You could offer it up as a lot to a collector or one of the parts vendors.  Or you could catalogue it and offer it piece by piece on the club site.  Finally and most troublesome there us always Ebay.

       Let us know how we can help you 

   Dave Anspach 

Attachments:

Re: Calling all water pump afficianados

Richard Williams
 

I rebuilt a water pump several years age and it has worked very well. I used a kit from Butch and followed his instructions. It does not leak at all. In fact it is so good that I put antifreeze in it and it still holds it today. It has been driven several times and the coolant is still good. I added an overflow bottle to it which works well also. Rich

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Andy Drake
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2019 12:11 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Calling all water pump afficianados

 

I've rebuilt about 6-8 of the various pump styles. All styles are relatively plentiful and to be honest, pretty much every one leaks at least a little bit. As Jeff and Seb have both mentioned,  the four bolt style does pretty decent between the nut, packing itself, and the sticky waterproof grease. I crank mine down every so often.

 

I have seen some amazingly worn impeller shafts -- wobbly and deeply grooved. Even with packing, it seems like it would be practically impossible to keep water in the system and I'm wondering if premature wear wasn't a cause of overheating for at least a small number of tinblocks.

 


Virus-free. www.avg.com

1955 Gen Motor Mods

Gary
 

Plan on having Dale build monster motor for Thundermug from my 1955 mil gen motor. I have “Inboard Racing, A Wild Ride” and would like inputs for what the book says are importentv race upgrades versus what actually works... ideas, inputs??

Gary McFarlane

Re: Calling all water pump afficianados

Gary
 

I have both pumps. They can be had.....!!

Gary McFarlane

On Apr 15, 2019, at 10:58 AM, crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:

Paula,   There are two types of pumps. Within the club, they are known as 4 bolt or 6 bolt pumps. The 4 bolt is the one with the ability to tighten a brass nut against the packing. The 6 bolt does not have the brass nut to tighten and is less desirable. I am thinking either your Dad or someone else used a similar pump and mated it to the correct bracket. I can send a photo of both types of pumps when I return home.
    Jeffrey

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019, 11:48 AM Paula W <paula_whitney@...> wrote:
Hi Jeffrey,

Do you have a diagram or photo of a correct Crosley 3-bolt water pump? I'm surprised at the news that this is not Crosley. Dad bought the car originally with a tin block engine. It cracked with only a few miles and they replaced it with the cast iron. I add this in case that helps in any way to cipher out anything about this pump. The only other work Dad had done on the car was some minor cosmetics after a fender bender. Of course I'm going by what he told me and his pencil notes he kept inside the manual.

The pump and small generator are both green to match the car.

Any chance they used more than one type of pump?

Paula

Re: 1951 Super

christopher cochrane
 

Any pics 

On Mar 16, 2019, at 4:57 PM, John Stein <johnkstein@...> wrote:

 profile pis was 2 yrs ago running

Re: Calling all water pump afficianados

Andy Drake
 

I've rebuilt about 6-8 of the various pump styles. All styles are relatively plentiful and to be honest, pretty much every one leaks at least a little bit. As Jeff and Seb have both mentioned,  the four bolt style does pretty decent between the nut, packing itself, and the sticky waterproof grease. I crank mine down every so often.

I have seen some amazingly worn impeller shafts -- wobbly and deeply grooved. Even with packing, it seems like it would be practically impossible to keep water in the system and I'm wondering if premature wear wasn't a cause of overheating for at least a small number of tinblocks.

Re: Annual Crosley meet

dale@servicemotors.net
 

Do you have a contact number??

On Apr 15, 2019, at 5:30 AM, Terry Mundy <@tmundy> wrote:

Hi All,

A brief introduction, I’m Terry Mundy from Independence, Missouri. My father, Aaron, was a longtime Crosley owner and club member.
Since his passing in 2010 I’ve left all of the Crosley parts he acquired over the years in his shop. The shop was repurposed last month so everything was transferred to another storage.
I’m finally ready to begin letting the parts go and am curious to learn if they are worth anything to anyone. Not so much in monetary value but maintaining other Crosleys. Lots of blocks, heads, carburetors, valves, shims, gauges, wheels, nuts and bolts for mostly 49-52’s.
He took his red Super Sport dubbed “The last Crosley out of the factory” and green ‘51 2 door coup to the show each year.
I would like to bring the parts out or list on this forum for others to get use out of them.
Any info to help me form a plan is welcome.

Thanks,

Terry Mundy


Re: Calling all water pump afficianados

crosleyshortsport
 

I learned something new today. I did not know there was an early pump that was a 3 bolt. Here is a photo of two pump styles, and the only ones I have ever seen.


On Mon, Apr 15, 2019, 12:07 PM Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
As I said in an earlier message, it is a Crosley pump, intended for small generator on early CC models.

There are 3 styles of pump.

Jim...

On Apr 15, 2019, at 11:58 AM, crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:

Paula,   There are two types of pumps. Within the club, they are known as 4 bolt or 6 bolt pumps. The 4 bolt is the one with the ability to tighten a brass nut against the packing. The 6 bolt does not have the brass nut to tighten and is less desirable. I am thinking either your Dad or someone else used a similar pump and mated it to the correct bracket. I can send a photo of both types of pumps when I return home.
    Jeffrey

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019, 11:48 AM Paula W <paula_whitney@...> wrote:
Hi Jeffrey,

Do you have a diagram or photo of a correct Crosley 3-bolt water pump? I'm surprised at the news that this is not Crosley. Dad bought the car originally with a tin block engine. It cracked with only a few miles and they replaced it with the cast iron. I add this in case that helps in any way to cipher out anything about this pump. The only other work Dad had done on the car was some minor cosmetics after a fender bender. Of course I'm going by what he told me and his pencil notes he kept inside the manual.

The pump and small generator are both green to match the car. 

Any chance they used more than one type of pump?

Paula



Re: Annual Crosley meet

crosleyshortsport
 

Here is a nice photo of your folks.


On Mon, Apr 15, 2019, 11:17 AM Spock Arnold via Groups.Io <tmkldwwj=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Terry; 
       First of all your father may be gone, but among us Crosley people, he is not forgotten.   I remember several conversations with him at Nationals.  There are several things you could do.  This year is the 50th anniversary of the Club and the National show should prove to be a big one.  As such you could pack everything up and bring it to The show and set up a flea market space to sell it.  You could also donate it to the club for funding of the youth project and we would sell it in our annual silent auction at Nationals.  You could offer it up as a lot to a collector or one of the parts vendors.  Or you could catalogue it and offer it piece by piece on the club site.  Finally and most troublesome there us always Ebay.
       Let us know how we can help you 
   Dave Anspach 

Re: Calling all water pump afficianados

Jim Bollman
 

As I said in an earlier message, it is a Crosley pump, intended for small generator on early CC models.

There are 3 styles of pump.

Jim...

On Apr 15, 2019, at 11:58 AM, crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:

Paula,   There are two types of pumps. Within the club, they are known as 4 bolt or 6 bolt pumps. The 4 bolt is the one with the ability to tighten a brass nut against the packing. The 6 bolt does not have the brass nut to tighten and is less desirable. I am thinking either your Dad or someone else used a similar pump and mated it to the correct bracket. I can send a photo of both types of pumps when I return home.
    Jeffrey

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019, 11:48 AM Paula W <paula_whitney@...> wrote:
Hi Jeffrey,

Do you have a diagram or photo of a correct Crosley 3-bolt water pump? I'm surprised at the news that this is not Crosley. Dad bought the car originally with a tin block engine. It cracked with only a few miles and they replaced it with the cast iron. I add this in case that helps in any way to cipher out anything about this pump. The only other work Dad had done on the car was some minor cosmetics after a fender bender. Of course I'm going by what he told me and his pencil notes he kept inside the manual.

The pump and small generator are both green to match the car. 

Any chance they used more than one type of pump?

Paula



Re: Calling all water pump afficianados

crosleyshortsport
 

Paula,   There are two types of pumps. Within the club, they are known as 4 bolt or 6 bolt pumps. The 4 bolt is the one with the ability to tighten a brass nut against the packing. The 6 bolt does not have the brass nut to tighten and is less desirable. I am thinking either your Dad or someone else used a similar pump and mated it to the correct bracket. I can send a photo of both types of pumps when I return home.
    Jeffrey

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019, 11:48 AM Paula W <paula_whitney@...> wrote:
Hi Jeffrey,

Do you have a diagram or photo of a correct Crosley 3-bolt water pump? I'm surprised at the news that this is not Crosley. Dad bought the car originally with a tin block engine. It cracked with only a few miles and they replaced it with the cast iron. I add this in case that helps in any way to cipher out anything about this pump. The only other work Dad had done on the car was some minor cosmetics after a fender bender. Of course I'm going by what he told me and his pencil notes he kept inside the manual.

The pump and small generator are both green to match the car.

Any chance they used more than one type of pump?

Paula

Re: Calling all water pump afficianados

Paula W
 

Attached is a photo of the 3 bolt in place before we removed it for the rebuild.

Re: Calling all water pump afficianados

Paula W
 

Hi Jeffrey,

Do you have a diagram or photo of a correct Crosley 3-bolt water pump? I'm surprised at the news that this is not Crosley. Dad bought the car originally with a tin block engine. It cracked with only a few miles and they replaced it with the cast iron. I add this in case that helps in any way to cipher out anything about this pump. The only other work Dad had done on the car was some minor cosmetics after a fender bender. Of course I'm going by what he told me and his pencil notes he kept inside the manual.

The pump and small generator are both green to match the car.

Any chance they used more than one type of pump?

Paula

Re: Calling all water pump afficianados

seb fontana
 

I rebuilt a 4 bolt water pump..New bushing and shaft of SS..New packing and thorough cleaning of packing gland nut threads..Guessed at number of turns of packing, shimmed pump to correct lineament to gen and elongated holes in pump body so to adjust for/aft so pump impeller doesn't scrap housing..Installed screw type grease cup full of PMC high pressure lube..Upon running I had to tighten the gland nut several times in the first 500 miles or so but then leveled off .  The PMC lube would melt out and needed refill often but I figured small price to pay for pump longevity..Fast forward 9000 miles..Haven't seen a drip of coolant leak or have had to adjust the gland nut in the last 7000 miles.. Last year I found a water proof/high temp grease I thought may work so in the grease cup it went..Works well, only need about a 1/4 turn every once in a while, can't turn it if grease is not needed so it will last well over couple thousand miles; the tube of grease will last a life time!.. Nice to luck out once in a while..Seb.

Re: Annual Crosley meet

Spock Arnold
 

Terry; 
       First of all your father may be gone, but among us Crosley people, he is not forgotten.   I remember several conversations with him at Nationals.  There are several things you could do.  This year is the 50th anniversary of the Club and the National show should prove to be a big one.  As such you could pack everything up and bring it to The show and set up a flea market space to sell it.  You could also donate it to the club for funding of the youth project and we would sell it in our annual silent auction at Nationals.  You could offer it up as a lot to a collector or one of the parts vendors.  Or you could catalogue it and offer it piece by piece on the club site.  Finally and most troublesome there us always Ebay.
       Let us know how we can help you 
   Dave Anspach 

Re: Annual Crosley meet

crosleyshortsport
 

Terry,   I knew your Mom and Dad quite well. A true westen gentleman. Aaron sold me his '52 pick-up. He asked me for several years to purchase it. At the national meet the year before he passed, we sat inside, on a bench, and he explained that he really wanted me to have the pick-up. He gave me a price, and I said it was not enough. He said, I know You will take good care of it, I said, OK, however, I explained that he must accept an additional 500 bucks, and drive 366 the wrong way the next morning. He extended is large hand and we made the deal ! I thoroughly enjoy that pick-up !  Terry, certainly up to you, I will tell you, as chairman of the national meet, we can absolutely make good use of those parts at the national meet. The silent auction, not only gets the parts to folks that need them, it helps greatly to fund the meet and the youth projects. I will extend this personal invitation to you to join us at the Big 50 year celebration, 2019 national meet. If you decide you can not attend, I will find someone to pick up anything you might donate.
           Sincerely,
     Jeffrey Ackerman


On Mon, Apr 15, 2019, 10:32 AM Terry Mundy <terrymundy@...> wrote:
Hi All,

A brief introduction, I’m Terry Mundy from Independence, Missouri. My father, Aaron, was a longtime Crosley owner and club member.
Since his passing in 2010 I’ve left all of the Crosley parts he acquired over the years in his shop. The shop was repurposed last month so everything was transferred to another storage.
I’m finally ready to begin letting the parts go and am curious to learn if they are worth anything to anyone. Not so much in monetary value but maintaining other Crosleys. Lots of blocks, heads, carburetors, valves, shims, gauges, wheels, nuts and bolts for mostly 49-52’s.
He took his red Super Sport dubbed “The last Crosley out of the factory” and green ‘51 2 door coup to the show each year.
I would like to bring the parts out or list on this forum for others to get use out of them.
Any info to help me form a plan is welcome.

Thanks,

Terry Mundy