Re: headliners

Jim Liberty

Clell, could you send pictures. I am finishing my '47 round side pickup, and need a headliner. Never heard of backless carpet.        ....Jim.

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 8:46 AM Clell <cballard@...> wrote:

As the original story mentioned, one CC I got had had the garage it was stored in fall down on it.  I had to build a completely new top--an open top Crosley body is too shaky to use--and so the top I made was in the form of a coupe.  Thus the headliner was different.  The front windshield frame, although damaged, was salvaged and the headliner contacted it differently than if it was stock.

On 8/18/2021 10:47 AM, L.E. Hardee wrote:
That is neat looking.  I like original stuff but this is a great alternative if you don't care about being factory.  I noticed you went under the visors on the gray but stopped short with a trim edge on the beige.  Was there a reason or just being different?  The green peeking out in front gives a nice accent of the two colors.

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 11:24 AM Clell <cballard@...> wrote:

Mike;

I am the only Crosley club member in Idaho.  For a few decades there were 2 of us--me with regular cars and and older guy with a Hot Shot.  He is now gone so I have no connection with anyone having to do with Crosleys.  Over the years I ran across two shabby non-running CC cars.  One even had the building it was stored in fall down on it.  Every effort to bring them back to nice was totally up to me.  Fortunately my experience with Studebakers, Jeeps, etc., made it possible so now I have two outstanding Crosleys--a 1947 round side pickup and a custom (the result of rebuilding the smashed car)1948 one of a kind Crosley coupe.

I did everything.  The one thing I couldn't do was headliners.  My earlier one attempt was to put a headliner in a Metropolitan.  My son and I succeeded but it was a miserable experience.  I had no idea what Crosley originally put in the cars but was pretty sure it would have been something cheap and marginal.  So I had two nice Crosleys with no--meaning ugly when looked at--headliners.  I talked to the guy who did my seats for me and he suggested a material he said had some substance to it and it had the ability to stretch around corners without it being obvious and even more, it could be "scrunched" in places where that was necessary without it being obvious.  It was pretty expensive but I bought some.

It has to be installed on the cars ceiling with spray upholstery adhesive.  You have to cut it about the size of the ceiling, sit inside with it draped over you while you affix it to the header.  Problem is you have to spray both the car and the material for it to adhere.  Slowly but surely you can apply it neatly along the middle.  When that is done you can turn your attention to the edges what need trimmed, etc.  It works better if someone helps you but I did my own by myself.  When done I am amazed it how neat it looks.  The first photo enclosed is the inside of my round side pickup ceiling.  Pretty bad looking.  Couldn't even clean it off and just paint it.  The second picture is of the pickup's headliner now.  The third photo is of my custom Crosley coupe I had to make a totally new top for.   You will have to agree it looks sharp and that is noteworthy because my sheet metal forming wasn't perfect and the material applied to the ceiling actually covers up some imperfections.

So what is the fabric?  Actually talked to the guy yesterday who sold it to me and I asked what someone else should ask for.  He said the material--in many different colors--is called "backless carpet."  He repeated that it is excellent for trunk linings (and headliners but nobody buy Croslely people would probably be interested in that ) and any other surface that needs covered.  It is NOT good for floor covering since it has no backing.   Again it is somewhat expensive in that a person has to buy quite a lot of have enough for the Crosley roof.  You will have a lot left over.  I have used it both Crosleys--different colors so double to amount left over--and a couple other custom cars from the 1940s and 1950s.  I can guarantee no one will ever question it after it is installed.

Best regards

Clell G. Ballard

On 8/17/2021 9:14 PM, Mike S wrote:
I'd be interested in hearing the details.