Re: 1951 CD - 9" drum brakes "grabbing"

Jim Liberty

Are you sure the shoes are installed correctly? Sounds like you did the rest correctly. Is it possible the new cylinders are leaking again. It does happen even with new parts.   ...... Jim.

On Sat, Jul 3, 2021 at 12:08 PM Bob H. <bob@...> wrote:
I don't have much experience with drum brakes but the linings didn't look wet or discolored to me. Would it be obvious if they were damaged from fluid? I did very lightly clean them up with some medium sandpaper before reassembly just to remove any extra dust.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Bob

On Sat, Jul 3, 2021, 2:51 PM Jim Liberty <jimliberty356@...> wrote:
Did you check the linings for brake fluid. The leak may have contaminated them.    ......Jim.

On Sat, Jul 3, 2021 at 11:33 AM Bob H. <bob@...> wrote:

Hi all,

After sitting for a couple of years, I'm working on getting Dad's '51 wagon back on the road (and to Wauseon next week!).

Both of the front wheel cylinders were leaking and one was seized. So, I replaced them both and bled the system. Once done, I (think I) followed the service manual brake adjustment steps and took it down the road. It's immediately obvious that the car is pulling badly to the right and it takes very little pedal travel in order to engage a LOT of stopping power.

My son and I put it back up on jack stands and observe the following. While I'm spinning a front wheel forward, he very slowly/lightly applies brake pressure. Just a second or two after I start to feel the linings contact the drum, the wheel STOPS. I mean, it stops like it hit something. The front passenger side is worse than the front driver's side but both exhibit this behavior. When I spin either front wheel backwards, they slow and stop smoothly as they should. The rears, which I didn't touch, slow and stop smoothly as they should in both directions. My son noted that it took more pedal travel to engage the rears, but of course I don't know when the last time the rears were adjusted (and I'm not inclined to touch them at this point!).

I'm going to try adjusting the fronts again but is there a particular mistake during adjustment or procedure that can cause this? I suspect that maybe contact with the drum is causing one of the linings to "shift" in such a way that it is suddenly pushed against the drum with great force.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to my second real Crosley meet!

-Bob Hodgeman