Re: Fuel gauge dies

Jim Liberty

Grounds are a major problem on "Old" cars. I always ground to the frame, even if the device is meant to be self grounding.   ....Jim.

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 1:22 PM crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:
As Mr. Hardee said, we are always grounding to the frame. Your fuel tank is strapped and then bolted to the frame. If the tank and straps are painted nicely, then you now have a poor ground . And at least one strap needs to be scraped clean and shiny along with the point where it touches the frame or body. One other over looked grounding necessity is at the back of the guage cluster, the L - brackets that hold the guage cluster tight to the dash must be clean and shiny where they touch the post and nut AND where it touches the back of the dash, making sure the back of the dash is ALSO clean and shiny at the point where the L - bracket touches. Let us know how you make out.

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021, 1:56 PM L.E. Hardee <hftsales@...> wrote:
From the factory, the sending unit grounded through the sending unit screws to the tank and the tank then grounded where bolted to the frame.  With age and rust, these connections are less reliable, so many people just run a new wire from any one of the screws that attach the sending unit to the tank to any convenient point on the frame or body.

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 1:37 PM Paula W <paula_whitney@...> wrote:
I am finally ready to address this (dead fuel gauge) and will focus as directed on checking the ground for the sending unit. Thank you all again for this. However, I need some help on where to look for the ground attachment. About 3 years back I watched as a mechanic installed the new  sending unit on our refurbished tank and then helped him install the tank. However, I never saw where he attached any wires associated with the fuel gauge.

It would also help to know if the tank needs to come out no matter what.