Re: Clutch chatter

crosleyshortsport

Patrick, Usually a chatter is experienced in 1st gear or reverse. Typically 2nd and 3rd smooth out. You may need to adjust the throw-out bearing out or in a bit, also be sure your idle setting is not too high. Slowing the idle speed is best for easy clutching in and out. Be sure your accelerator spring is strong enough to fully disengage the accelerator. Tighten all bolts to engine and motor mounts and transmission mount. Let us know what you find. Jeffrey

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021, 10:00 AM Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
Several possibilities, the clutch being one of them but a lot of the time it is bad/weak motor and transmission mounts. Soft mounts let the engine rock more than it should changing the carburetor and clutch linkage to move and cause an oscillation effect with the clutch. There should be a few more ideas posted soon but that is a quick place to check that will cause other problems if left on repaired.

Jim...

On Apr 7, 2021, at 9:52 AM, Patrick Keller <pakeller@...> wrote:

The first nice day and I took my 52’ wagon for a drive. For awhile the clutch would chatter in reverse. I would just push the car back into the garage so not a big deal. During this drive the clutch would chatter in 3rd gear. Is this something that can be cleaned/adjusted or just replaced?