Re: Fuel gauge dies

Richard Williams

Your tank has lost the ground. I had the same problem. I ran a ground wire from one of the sending mount screws up to the back of the instrument panel mount screws. Problem solved. Good luck. Rich W.

On Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 07:18:42 PM PST, Paula W <paula_whitney@...> wrote:

After starting the car today the fuel gauge started bouncing wildly, with the center of oscillation moving slowing towards "E" and finally dying before my eyes. The car continued to run.
When we put the resurfaced gas tank in about 3 years ago, and it received a new sending unit.
The gauge cluster is a restored unit.
What I checked:
I checked the tank with my backup gauge (a wooden dowel) and there is plenty of gas. A circuit tester shows a very faint glow (almost imperceptible)  at the gauge connection under the dash (key"on").

Any other things I should try before jacking up the car and (gasp) removing the tank?