Re: Hung brake? Sticking brake?

L.E. Hardee

A question:  When loading the Crosley, were all wheels dragging or just one?  I have had a sticking wheel cylinder that would lockup when the brakes were applied hard but release over time if left alone.  I have also had a brake lining that had a piece break off and jam between brake shoe and drum.  Rolling the car backwards spit out the piece and it fell harmlessly into the drum.

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 7:37 PM Steve Olinger <olinger@...> wrote:
Oops hit the send button and sent a blank message the first time! I second what Butch said. Its probably the little return hole in the master cylinder stopped up or not any free travel in the pedal.
Steve

September 18 2020 7:33 PM, "Steve Olinger" <olinger@...> wrote:

September 18 2020 7:19 PM, "Steve" <brawnybug@...> wrote:

I have some ideas on this problem but want to seek the advice of the Crosley collective.

Last weekend at the Illinois Meet we did our small cruise.  Nice and slow, a little stop and go.  When we returned to the park, I proceeded to load my Crosley on its trailer.  I hooked up my winch and the car did not want to move.  Checked the shifter, it wasn’t in gear.  Checked the e-brake, it wasn’t set.  I really had to work the winch hard to get it loaded.

2 hours later when I’m home, it rolls off the trailer easy as can be.  I suspect I have a brake hanging up, but I suspect the hydraulic components more than the springs.  I’m thinking:

1.      Bleed the brakes

2.      Check wheel cylinders

3.      Check brake lines for collapse.

Something was stuck, but released over time.  Here’s your chance, please share your experience.

-Steve M.