Re: Master Cylinder PSI

L.E. Hardee

The beauty of hydraulics is that the pressure at the end of the line no matter its diameter is the same as at the entrance, if not blocked, in a static state, ie: no movement.  The volume of fluid delivered is subject to frictional losses  due to a lot of factors including line size, bends and tube wall roughness.

What i would do is disconnect one of the lines at one of the wheel cylinders not working right.  Direct the open line into a glass jar and get an helper to stomp on the brake pedal with all their might.  You should nearly blow the bottom of the jar out with the fluid squirt.  If it just dribbles, go upstream and repeat the procedure until you get a good squirt.  Make sure to refill the reservoir.  When you get the full squirt, you need to check the line or hose downstream for a restriction or blockage.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 11:45 AM Tilden Drinkard <TILDENLD@...> wrote:
My calculations are nearly the same.
Many reference materials say that on drum brakes you need +500 PSI at the wheel cylinders. I'm not a good enough
mathematician to calculate the result of hydraulic fluid leaving the 1" master cylinder at +/- 125 PSI & passing thru a 3/16"
line. I guess I'll call me Princeton educated physics professor buddy & give him the problem.
Thanx for your help