sticky Re: Restoration tips for beginners

Don Pitchford

Gabriel,
A digital camera and some lights on stands to make really good photos are your best friends. Also, write notes on paper tags or tape and attach them to the parts so they show up in the photos. In the old days we had to rely on drawings and memory. We have it so easy today with digital photos. I recommend getting a camera that you don't mind getting dirty because sometimes your hands are going to be filthy when you pick up the camera to take a picture of something. Regularly email those photos between 2 of your email accounts  or do some other kind of back-up so you don't loose the photos.

If you have an oxygen/acetylene or MAP gas/oxygen torch that you can use to heat up fasteners it will help a great deal with loosening stuck nuts and bolts. Without heating them,  a lot of nut and bolt heads will round off or break. Heating them to just shy of Red, then letting them cool a bit loosens them so they come right out. Just be sure there is no gas or oil in the area. Keep a bucket of water with a wet rag, and a fire extinguisher handy just in case.

Buy a good tap and die set or "thread chaser" so you can clean up the threads on everything! It's impossible to know how well a fastener is torqued unless you have clean, smooth, and lightly lubricated threads. I often take an assembly off the car in pieces, then reassemble it and set it aside until I'm ready to do a thorough cleaning and restoration to it. Cleaning up the threads as you are reassembling it for the first time makes life a lot easier.

Good luck and keep us updated,
Don Pitchford

On Friday, July 3, 2020, 08:33:10 PM CDT, Gabriel Haddad <super51.g100@...> wrote:

Hello all,
I know there is a lot of information out there for fixing and repairing Crosley parts.  There are even a few publications for restoration.  As I approach my first attempt at a full blown restoration of a car, I have to wonder what are the simple things people would have liked to know before they started their restoration? I mean some of the real simple things.
As I was wrenching on a car this last weekend,  I complained to myself how greasy the underside was. Why didn't I take a power washer to it first!!
What about tips for pulling the old wiring? Did you wish you knew something before stared tearing something apart or, before you began assembling something?
Thanks to all of you and I hope you all have a great 4th of July.
I hope to see you all next year.
Thanks,  gabriel.