Re: vapor lock issue

Brett Wright

Thanks Jim, I  get what you are saying. I am sure you are right that I have overlooked some difference between my car and others but I feel like I have earned the right to give up, if you know what I mean. I rebuilt the pump with parts from one of those guys just don’t remember which one. Doesn’t mean I didn’t make a mistake but it works great except when it doesn’t. I have double isolation gaskets installed on the pump. The electric pump I ordered is 4 psi but I bet it will lose 1/2 psi from the myriad piping on the way to the carb. It had a good rating from a prewar Crosley guy at Summit racing. I will track down an inertia switch for the circuit.
One note of safety though. If you run an electric pump thru a mechanical pump you better hope the diaphragm never fails with a crack. Has potential to leak fuel in to crankcase.

Brett Wright
CEO
Wright Construction Co., Inc.

On Apr 13, 2020, at 2:46 PM, Jim Bollman via groups.io <Jim@...> wrote:

It sounds like you have a plan that should fix the problem but should not be necessary, as you say most don't have a problem. I was just going to suggest when your  last message came in that it was time to start over because one or more of your steps must be bad. I was going to suggest buying a new fuel pump from Yankee or Service instead of relying on a rebuilt that may have another problem other than what was replaced in the rebuild. Also make sure you had one of the insulating high temperature gaskets behind the fuel pump.

Make sure the electric fuel pump puts out between 1.5 and 3.5 lbs of pressure so you don't over power the float valve. Several members run electric pumps near the tank and push fuel through the mechanical pump. You need to have it hooked up so it turns off when not wanted so in an accident situation that it doesn't keep pumping gas.

Jim...

On Apr 13, 2020, at 2:08 PM, bwright@... wrote:

here is my plan going forward because I feel like I am chasing a mirage on this issue. I ordered some wrap for the exhaust manifold. I plan to do that and see if it or any other minor changes resolve the issue. I also ordered a high quality 6 volt in line electric pump. If the before mentioned steps don't take care of it, I plan to install the pump near the tank and bypass the mechanical pump and pipe direct to the Carburetor. I am really stumped why I have more issues with this than anyone else but I am also plenty tired of spending too much time and money chasing something I know can be resolved by taking the poorly located mechanical pump out of play