Re: Crankshaft install

nobadrivers

Great idea with the minor rebuilds for peace of mind keeps clearances in check!  This is my first Crosley engine I have had apart.  A little different than what I am used to but all of the principles the same!

From: Crosley-Gang@groups.io [mailto:Crosley-Gang@groups.io] On Behalf Of David via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2020 1:22 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Crankshaft install

I keep a small bottle of white nail polish in my workshop (has a built-in brush).  Each time I assemble/reassemble an engine, I find TDC and mark it on the crank pully (after first removing the old mark).  I do a minor rebuild after each season of racing (main and rod bearings replaced), so barring some disaster, my engines get torn down at least once a year.  It has been a few years since I blew an engine, so I have managed to avoid disasters by learning what breaks in race-prepared engines—fingers crossed.

David

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2020 10:09 AM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Crankshaft install

I didn't have a mark on the crankshaft pulley like Dave showed in his picture.  So I got number one cylinder to TDC and timing mark on flywheel visible in the timing mark window on the bell housing.  I then lined up the camshaft gear two dots with the one dot on the camshaft drive gear for my valve timing.  For static ignition timing I positioned the distributor for the ignition points just about to open (points opening fires ignition coil) and rotor pointing towards #1 cylinder distributor cap tower.  So preliminary static timing will be at 0 degrees when engine starts.  From there I can set the timing with a timing light. 

Join Crosley-Gang@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.