Re: Charlie Nicholas Story

crosleyshortsport

Chet,  Here is a photo I took this past Autumn of Ted DellaCamera from Yankee Crosley Parts. He gave me a ride in the Flying Saucer !
Jeffrey

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020, 7:47 PM Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
I got this eMail with others familiar with the Flying Saucer and Charlie Nicholas

On Mar 23, 2020, at 10:50 PM, Chet Tschetter wrote:

Today I received my weekly notice from Hyman Ltd. and saw the 1951 Crosley LeMans Team Racecar for sale.  I immediately thought of Charlie Nicholas and his “Flying Saucer”.  I then did bit of ‘googling’ and found your website.  I graduated from Fairmont High School in 1954 and occasionally worked for Charlie in 52, 53 and 54.  I only knew his shop on East Blue Earth Avenue and his home on Tilden Street.  Yes, and met Ruby many times.

Charlie was short and stout, had a hard time bending over a fender to service a normal car engine except a VW or a Porsche, or an MG or an Austin Healey. He also had a bit of a problem sliding under cars as his shop had no lift, only a creeper, standard floor jacks and stands.  I guess that is where I came in at 5’10” and 155 lbs.  I could bend over and crawl under and Charlie would issue instructions and away we went.

I remember his love of Crosleys, a small, economical, well engined, little 4-place car.  I also recall his appreciation of European engineering and his own attention to detail.  At that time it was fix it rather than to replace and I learned a lot from Charlie.  Oh, I could go on and on but won’t bore you with more.  Thanks for remembering Charlie and taking me back on this little trip as well.  Cheers.

Chet Tschetter