Re: COBRA Block

Robert Connearney

The Crosley engine was designed by Lloyd Taylor; Google him (and maybe add the word Crosley or engine). There is quite a bit of background  info, but I'm not sure if there is anything detailing specific construction.techniques. I did see mention of using a hydrogen furnace, whatever that is. Apparently the design objective was to get high output at minimum weight, for military/aircraft use. Thin wall casting techniques were not developed at the time, so the thinner fabricated steel assemblies were not only much lighter, but were more easily cooled, allowing higher compression ratios. Note that the cylinder head is integral with the block, and the valves are in-line, so they can be dropped out through the cylinder. If a twin cam with a hemi or pent-roof design is intended, large OD valve guides are necessary, and must be removed "out the top", prior to dropping the valves. Also note that the crankcase is an aluminum casting, which I believe can be a lot stiffer than steel, for a comparative weight. 

I believe Mercedes has used steel fabrications, at least on their Grand Prix and sports racing car engines of the fifties. Also, large diesels (e.g., marine and generators), so there may be some internet info on these.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: "bruce.derenski via Groups.Io" <bruce.derenski@...>
Date: 2/16/20 8:44 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: [Crosley-Gang] COBRA Block

Crosley Fans,

I work for a contractor that is interested in innovative ways of making an engine block, specifically methods that don't require casting. I immediately thought of the COBRA. Are there any specific members on here who are knowledgeable about exactly HOW Crosley manufactured that engine? Any books, articles or publications would be helpful, too. So would seeing one of these engines close-up. I live in Florida, so a local source is best, but I can travel. Also, some questions for anyone who has disassembled a COBRA: Does the COBRA block look any different than a CIBA? In other words, can you look at a COBRA block and see how it was made? I'm trying to figure out if it's worthwhile to get my hands on an old COBRA block for the purpose of examining it, and perhaps even breaking it down into its original stamped components.

Thanks in advance. You folks are great.

Join Crosley-Gang@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.