Re: Distributor Question

Butch

Yes, those are NICE, as they allow you to remove the distributor from the top, without dropping the oil pan.

They use an aluminum adapter, to go from the distributor size shaft, to the oversize hole.

I'm not exactly sure of there origin.

Butch

On 2/1/2020 4:09 PM, Jim Bollman wrote:
Thanks Butch.?

I know I saw a bare crankcase with a bigger distributor hole at Wauseon years ago, now I have no idea what it was, maybe someones experiment.

Jim...

On Feb 1, 2020, at 3:51 PM, Butch via Groups.Io <butch46988@...> wrote:

Nope Jim, same size hole, they are interchangeable. Be aware, the tune up parts, for the large distributor, are MUCH more expensive than the more common, small distributors.

I believe that they were used on some commercial engines. The racers liked them, supposedly they were more stable at speed, but I never checked one in my distributor machine, to verify that.

That said, they are easier to work on and as I recall, the points are a bit easier to set, also.

Butch

On 2/1/2020 2:59 PM, Jim Bollman wrote:
I have never owned an engine with the big distributor and I don't know why it was made, but it sticks in my mind that it takes a bigger hole in the crankcase. There are not a lot of them around.

Hopefully someone knows more about the big distributor.

On Jan 31, 2020, at 11:56 AM, dkduster70 via Groups.Io <dkduster70@...> wrote:

Is there anyone that can clarify some information about the small and large distributors.
Are they interchangeable, and is there any advantage to using either a large or small one if they are interchangeable?
I have wondered about this, and it seemed relevant to this conversation.