Re: Distributor Question

Jim Bollman

Thanks Butch.

I know I saw a bare crankcase with a bigger distributor hole at Wauseon years ago, now I have no idea what it was, maybe someones experiment.

Jim...

On Feb 1, 2020, at 3:51 PM, Butch via Groups.Io <butch46988@...> wrote:

Nope Jim, same size hole, they are interchangeable. Be aware, the tune up parts, for the large distributor, are MUCH more expensive than the more common, small distributors.

I believe that they were used on some commercial engines. The racers liked them, supposedly they were more stable at speed, but I never checked one in my distributor machine, to verify that.

That said, they are easier to work on and as I recall, the points are a bit easier to set, also.

Butch

On 2/1/2020 2:59 PM, Jim Bollman wrote:
I have never owned an engine with the big distributor and I don't know why it was made, but it sticks in my mind that it takes a bigger hole in the crankcase. There are not a lot of them around.

Hopefully someone knows more about the big distributor.

On Jan 31, 2020, at 11:56 AM, dkduster70 via Groups.Io <dkduster70@...> wrote:

Is there anyone that can clarify some information about the small and large distributors.
Are they interchangeable, and is there any advantage to using either a large or small one if they are interchangeable?
I have wondered about this, and it seemed relevant to this conversation.