Re: Distributor Question

Butch

Nope Jim, same size hole, they are interchangeable. Be aware, the tune up parts, for the large distributor, are MUCH more expensive than the more common, small distributors.

I believe that they were used on some commercial engines. The racers liked them, supposedly they were more stable at speed, but I never checked one in my distributor machine, to verify that.

That said, they are easier to work on and as I recall, the points are a bit easier to set, also.

Butch

On 2/1/2020 2:59 PM, Jim Bollman wrote:
I have never owned an engine with the big distributor and I don't know why it was made, but it sticks in my mind that it takes a bigger hole in the crankcase. There are not a lot of them around.

Hopefully someone knows more about the big distributor.

On Jan 31, 2020, at 11:56 AM, dkduster70 via Groups.Io <dkduster70@...> wrote:

Is there anyone that can clarify some information about the small and large distributors.
Are they interchangeable, and is there any advantage to using either a large or small one if they are interchangeable?
I have wondered about this, and it seemed relevant to this conversation.