Re: Useless dipstick?!

L.E. Hardee

I don't think I would add color to the oil.  Why take the chance of harming the engine.  I haven't tried this, but what if you laid the oil stick on a clean paper towel.  The oil on the dipstick would stain the towel up to the oil level.  A bit cumbersome perhaps, but how many times do you check the oil before it gets dirty enough to see on the stick.

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 8:14 PM <parkhunter@...> wrote:

I was just thinking about that today as I looked at my Insight dipstick with holes in it.

Someone else suggested putting a few drops of food coloring in the oil. Erm, maybe? Wondering what food coloring would do in the heat of the engine? Then again it’s used for baking, so maybe not a problem.

And, thanks for the compliment about the clean engine compartment. Unfortunately, this mostly means I haven’t been able to drive it much.

Blessings,

Park