Re: Useless dipstick?!

Richard Williams

You need the proper water pipe above the oil stick. Then you can use it.

On Saturday, October 19, 2019, 02:56:12 PM PDT, crosleyshortsport <crosleyshortsport@...> wrote:

Park,   A good bright light works well to see the wet oil. Or get a younger helper with a good set of eyes to help out 😀
On Sat, Oct 19, 2019, 5:27 PM Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
Never saw a brass dip stick before, wonder how long they used those.

On Oct 19, 2019, at 5:20 PM, parkhunter@... wrote:

Changed the oil on my 1948 CoBra before putting it to bed for the winter. In the process, I remembered just how useless the dipstick is.

It’s a brass rod, bent into a loop at the end, and with a scored mark that I assume is the high level for the oil. But clean oil is invisible on the shiny brass dipstick. I usually end up touching it with my finger trying to figure out where it’s actually wet.

At first I thought this must be a homemade part, but then I noticed a part number (1 ZN-C and a wing?) stamped at the very bottom.

I suppose if I let the oil get dirty it would show up. But I’m wondering if others have this problem, and what you’ve done to solve it.

- Park

<89178E05-E7CB-4148-B628-894C97529016.jpeg><01DF44E2-0C1E-48F5-80B3-DDD2C3061042.jpeg><1EA2729C-9047-4077-8337-AF9EFE6BB11E.jpeg>