Useless dipstick?!

parkhunter@...

Changed the oil on my 1948 CoBra before putting it to bed for the winter. In the process, I remembered just how useless the dipstick is.

It’s a brass rod, bent into a loop at the end, and with a scored mark that I assume is the high level for the oil. But clean oil is invisible on the shiny brass dipstick. I usually end up touching it with my finger trying to figure out where it’s actually wet.

At first I thought this must be a homemade part, but then I noticed a part number (1 ZN-C and a wing?) stamped at the very bottom.

I suppose if I let the oil get dirty it would show up. But I’m wondering if others have this problem, and what you’ve done to solve it.

- Park