Re: Question about installing new brake linings on a 47
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
I finished the brake job on my 47 this weekend. I worked Thursday night until the morning hours riveting the new linings then up to Boston on Friday. All day Saturday fitting the new shoes. Butch, the new linings were 3/16” and each one had to be dressed down to fit the drums. Fortunately my mother in law had a wood shop and on a good Delta stationary belt sander and using eyeball technology I fit each shoe to the drum.
Sunday I finished the job, did the initial adjustments and went for a ride around the block. The linings that had been in the car I could not get to work properly. They were a very hard lining with a lot of copper woven into the shoes. I finished the brake job with those linings in the week before I brought the car to Charles Gould’s Microcar meet in Bostontwo summers ago. However I could not get a crisp stop out of those shoes. Part of the Microcar meet involved a 100 drive through towns in MA. I kept hoping the shoes would bed in a bit and work better but I had a scare every time I had to go down a hill with a stop sign at the bottom. Every time we stopped on the tour I was under the car trying to adjust the brakes tighter. Finally one shoe must have gotten hot from being tightened too much. The lining became unglued from the lining, bounded around in the drum, locked up the drum and broke the cast iron shoe. Did you know that with the mechanical brakes you can drive with one set of shoes missing. Anyway my car sat at my father in laws all this time (2 years). Thank you Jay, Butch and Fred for your help and advise.