Re: Question about installing new brake linings on a 47

David Reina

I finished the brake job on my 47 this weekend.  I worked Thursday night until the morning hours riveting the new linings then up to Boston on Friday.  All day Saturday fitting the new shoes.  Butch, the new linings were 3/16” and each one had to be dressed down to fit the drums.  Fortunately my mother in law had a wood shop and on a good Delta stationary belt sander and using eyeball technology I fit each shoe to the drum.
Sunday I finished the job, did the initial adjustments and went for a ride around the block.  The linings that had been in the car I could not get to work properly.  They were a very hard lining with a lot of copper woven into the shoes.  I finished the brake job with those linings in the week before I brought the car to Charles Gould’s Microcar meet in Bostontwo summers ago.  However I could not get a crisp stop out of those shoes.  Part of the Microcar meet involved a 100 drive through towns in MA. I kept hoping the shoes would bed in a bit and work better but I had a scare every time I had to go down a hill with a stop sign at the bottom.  Every time we stopped on the tour I was under the car trying to adjust the brakes tighter.  Finally one shoe must have gotten hot from being tightened too much.  The lining became unglued from the lining, bounded around in the drum, locked up the drum and broke the cast iron shoe.  Did you know that with the mechanical brakes you can drive with one set of shoes missing.  Anyway my car sat at my father in laws all this time (2 years).  Thank you Jay, Butch and Fred for your help and advise.

Dave

On Oct 11, 2019, at 10:06 PM, Butch via Groups.Io <butch46988@...> wrote:

We had one but sold it when we sold Service Motors.

Another problem, with the 3/16" inch lining (as I recall), often it won't even fit in the drum, without doing some arcing/grinding on it.

Without the shoe arcing machine, it's a major pain fitting them.

Butch

On 10/11/2019 9:44 PM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io wrote:
Here's the problem with brake shoes and linings today. No one arc grinds shoes. Either they don't know how or simply don't have a grinder. I'd love to find an old AAMCO grinder.You just put linings on the shoes without arc grinding the shoes and the shoes are only touching the drums in a very small area. I think this is the single biggest problem with Crosley brakes.It matters not if you have 9" or 8" of lining if they are only touching the drum an inch or two.The very first thing my old auto mechanics teacher?? taught us about brakes was arc grinding shoes.That was 48 years ago. There has to be a grinder out there somewhere.