Re: Question about installing new brake linings on a 47

Butch

Turning the drums, on a lathe, (referring to the rears, especially) is a bit more difficult than it appears.

You must have a good way to center the drum on its axis, and keep it true thru its travel, while cutting.

Getting a good cut finish (remember, you are boring), without chatter marks, can be tough, but is doable with patience and practice. A very rigid setup is mandatory.

Butch

On 10/12/2019 8:00 AM, Tim Hamblen via Groups.Io wrote:
I would think that out there in places are old drum lathes and grinders available . Back in the 70s the Gooberment cracked down and ordered the grinders out of shops due to asbestos dust. Well, no more asbestos, so the grinders would be OK, although I would strongly advise a good respirator. As I have a metal working lathe I could even turn the small CC drums on it, just need to arc them.
_._,_._,_