Question about installing new brake linings on a 47

David Reina

I am trying to rivet new brake linings onto the cast iron shoes for my 47 sedan. I am ready to cut the linings and drill them for the rivets but am confused by some information in my old manual. It says” The service brake lining( for use on brake shoes with rivets ) is 1” shorter in the cam end and is assembled on the brake shoe toward the adjustment.” Will someone decipher this for me. Both shoes end up at the cam and all eight linings I removed were the same length and all the same spacing on the shoe. About 7/16” from each end of the shoe. I was hoping to get this done tonight so I could try and install them this weekend. I could go with the length of what was removed but am wondering if I am missing something.

Regards,
Dave