Re: Car jack

L.E. Hardee

The Crosley screw jack is not practical or in any way safe to use.  The bumper arms aren't strong enough to support the weight and they flex into the gravel shields.  More likely than not, the minute you get the tire off the ground so you can change it, the tire on the other side will start to slide and the car will go sideways off the jack.  You better hope you left a lug bolt on or you will have a time.  Use another kind of jack to change your tires and save the original jack for show only!!!!!

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 9:44 PM Kenn Cahill <drkenncahill@...> wrote:
There was also another style of “lip” to hook under the bumper. Some of the jacks had a cast-iron lip instead of the folded metal with rivets.
My 1941 had the rectangular base, the bumper lip made of folded metal, and a black plastic ball on the end of the jack handle. I assume it was original, but I cannot say for sure.