Re: Car jack

Kenn Cahill

I used the original jack on my 1948 wagon many times. I would hesitate to use it on a car with good pebble shields, as they can sometimes be bent by using this factory bumper jack. The car can definitely lean. I forget all of the tricks I used, but I figured out which way I needed to lean the jack to make sure that the car did not tip over when I got it lifted high enough to remove the wheel. I frequently had to put the jack on something higher than only its own base to get the car high enough to remove the wheel. It seems to me I put the base on a piece of wood at least 2 inches thick.
Now I use the original jack for show and use a hydraulic jack, scissors jack or a floor jack to do the work.