Re: Starting Problems in Morning

dale@servicemotors.net

Hey Don,
Its great that the electric pump helped your problem.  Here is where I disagree with installing a electric pump.  When the crosley was produced they started and ran just fine, if they didn't they would have had a lot of complaints.

Lets look at the underlying issue.  If the car has been sitting for a long time any old car with a carburetor its going to either leak out (which is an issue) or its going to evaporate out.  Either way its going to a few seconds for the mechanical fuel pump to fill the carb back up, as long as the fuel pump bowl gasket has not dried out and is sucking air which is a common issue if the car sits a lot.

This is why i start my car every two weeks to keep the fuel moving and to keep the gaskets from drying out.

I have NEVER had my crosley car boil the gas out of the carb after the car has been run for any length of time, hot starts have not been a problem.  The underlying issue there most of the time the float is too low and not adjusted correctly.
I have seen a lot of other underlying issues which would cause a hot start issue such as a starter bendix issue.  We have all hear the crosley grind and kick outs.
On the Carter WO make sure your accelerator pump is working properly, this too will make it hard to start.

Just my to cents.

On Jul 14, 2019, at 10:52 AM, PATRICIA GRITTI <donald-gritti@...> wrote:

Big improvement. Installed a 2-4 pound electric fuel pump yesterday. The engine cranked a little then caught & ran.
Butch, thank you for sharing your knowledge of Crosleys.
Don Gritti

On July 2, 2019 at 8:21 PM "Butch via Groups.Io" <butch46988@...> wrote:

Don,

A couple of issues going on; 1, Crosleys are well known for the carbs going dry (both heat boiling the fuel out and leaking it out) when sitting for a period of time. If it's an extended period, often the fuel pumps seem to lose prime if the valves are good, I don't see how this happens, except the fuel boiling out due to its proximity to the exhaust manifold. This causes excessive cranking to bring fuel up from the tank and into the carb.

Starting fluid or a quick dump from a gas bottle (my personal choice) takes care of that and the faster speed of running vs cranking, gets it done MUCH faster.

2, Your choke should close COMPLETELY, with the knob pulled all of the way out. It's a quick adjustment to get it to do so.

The comment of "no gas smell", reassures me of the empty carb bowl.

A quick GOOD solution i, install an electric pump, back by the tank. It can either just have a button, for priming or can run full time, even to the point of replacing the mechanical pump.

Butch

On 7/2/2019 7:50 PM, PATRICIA GRITTI wrote:
Hi Butch
Thank you for jumping in.
The carb is a Carter WO, the one listed in the Crosley shop manual. The engine cranks a long time with no activity. Notice there is no smell of gas after the engine is cranked. When the choke is closed there is 1/8" opening between the choke and the carb wall. After the engine starts by using starting fluid it runs & idles fine.
Don
On July 2, 2019 at 7:02 PM "Butch via Groups.Io" < butch46988@...> wrote:

Howdy Bud,

Please, better define you starting problems

Long cranking, without firing? Will fire, but not keep running? Will try
to run, but dies when you release the starter?

Also, what carburetor have you got, Carter or Tillotson?

More information, please.