Re: What not to do…or…the exploding oil filter.

James Hudson

You're absolutely right Jim. It's a Homelite 55 conversion and the previous owner put a great deal of work into it which would be a shame to see ruined. I'm used to mysterious noises on old cars so I was pondering the meaning of the strange "whumpf" noise from under the car when I noticed that the oil pressure gauge wasn't moving and shut it right down! It was running for perhaps 30 seconds.  It dumped so much oil on the lawn that when my son and I were pushing it back into the barn we slipped and fell on the grass like something  straight out of Laurel and Hardy. I'm glad I don't have a picture of that to post.