Re: Speedometer cable into transmission

Saltsgaver, Mike

A jump might mean a bad thing.  Many old speedometers have a brass driven member into which the cable inserts into.  Over time the lubrication dries out and that driven member tries to stick in it’s bore.  The speedo cable will start to wrap up, storing a lot of torsional energy.  If your lucky, the cable breaks…..if not, the brass driven member will finally break free from being stuck and will “over spin” the speedo & will break the shaft onto which the needle is attached.  I’ve had this happen a couple of times on Studebakers & Kaisers.  Both times the speedo put out a loud squeal & the needled jumped around but it broke before I could get pulled off the side of the road.

Hella Electronics Corporation, 43811 Plymouth Oaks Blvd., 48170, Plymouth Michigan
This document is to be treated confidentially. Its contents are not to be passed on, duplicated, exploited or disclosed without our express permission. All rights reserved, especially the right to apply for protective rights.