Micro & Mini Car Show for a Cause October 18-20 Dover, DE

Michael Braun

Well, it looks like I have hit “Critical Mass” for my October Charitable Car Show event.  The big hurdle was Liability Insurance for the Dover Downs Track and that problem has been overcome.  Although there is still a great deal of work to do, here are my plans.

The Dover Downs Monster Mile International Speedway has graciously allowed us use of the Track Saturday October 19th for a Charitable Fund Raiser.  Participating Micro and Mini Cars will circle the track at slow speed (Maximum 30 mph).  Riders will be on board who will have donated to a local charity, The Elizabeth Murphy School.

The Murphy School has been around since 1922 and provides residential group care for children ages 6 to 18 who have issues of dependency, neglect, or homelessness.  These kids are clearly “at risk” and without the care afforded by The Elizabeth Murphy School and its dedicated staff the outcome for these children and the society in which they live is not good.  Supporting the work of the School is a wonderful opportunity to put our little cars to good use while we enjoy ourselves.

Friday’s Sign in will be at the Historic Area of downtown Dover.  After getting settled, we will gather at my residence in Dover Friday evening, October 18th, for food and to review procedures for Saturday’s Track Event.  In order to maximize safety, vehicles will circle the track single file with at least 50 yards between them.  Volunteers will be on hand to load and unload passengers, and this will be a time for them to familiarize themselves with your vehicle.  If anyone in your party wants to help, please let me know.

Saturday morning, we will join the local Amish community for breakfast at their annual School Fundraising Consignment Auction.  Dover has a large Amish community.  Their Auction provides a “Fair-like” atmosphere and the opportunity for members of your party, who may not be that interested in antique cars, to bid on all sorts of items including things like Amish handmade quilts or just enjoy the food and atmosphere.   After breakfast the cars will travel to a local Amish sawmill for a demonstration, then it’s on to a tour of Dover on our way to the Dover Downs track.  We have the track to ourselves from 12-4.  After the Track event we will all meet at a local Restaurant for dinner (separate checks).

On Sunday, after a light breakfast at my home, we will do a back roads drive to the Dover Air Force Base AMC Museum.  The Museum has an excellent collection of vintage Aircraft and we will have our own Tour Guide.  Afterwards we will drive through Dover to the Murphy School Grounds where our vehicles will be on display.  While there, Murphy School personnel will take small groups of us for a “behind the scenes” tour of their facility.  After this event, some of you may want to start on your way home while the rest can decide if we want to just chill or try another restaurant.

Attendance at this event will cost $30 per car and driver plus $5 for each additional person in your group to help cover part of the cost of Friday Evening’s food.  Some details like the Hotel accommodations still need to be worked out.  You should know that all monies, after expenses, will be donated to The Murphy School.  My goal is to raise $10,000 for this exceptional charity.  Join us in a unique experience for a worthwhile cause.

If you are interested in attending, please let me know.  I expect to have a website up shortly where additional information will be posted as it becomes available.  I hope to see you all in October.

Mike & Winnie Braun (mwbraun@...)