Re: Calling all water pump afficianados

Richard Williams

I rebuilt a water pump several years age and it has worked very well. I used a kit from Butch and followed his instructions. It does not leak at all. In fact it is so good that I put antifreeze in it and it still holds it today. It has been driven several times and the coolant is still good. I added an overflow bottle to it which works well also. Rich

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Andy Drake
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2019 12:11 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Calling all water pump afficianados

I've rebuilt about 6-8 of the various pump styles. All styles are relatively plentiful and to be honest, pretty much every one leaks at least a little bit. As Jeff and Seb have both mentioned,  the four bolt style does pretty decent between the nut, packing itself, and the sticky waterproof grease. I crank mine down every so often.

I have seen some amazingly worn impeller shafts -- wobbly and deeply grooved. Even with packing, it seems like it would be practically impossible to keep water in the system and I'm wondering if premature wear wasn't a cause of overheating for at least a small number of tinblocks.