Re: Calling all water pump afficianados

Andy Drake

I've rebuilt about 6-8 of the various pump styles. All styles are relatively plentiful and to be honest, pretty much every one leaks at least a little bit. As Jeff and Seb have both mentioned,  the four bolt style does pretty decent between the nut, packing itself, and the sticky waterproof grease. I crank mine down every so often.

I have seen some amazingly worn impeller shafts -- wobbly and deeply grooved. Even with packing, it seems like it would be practically impossible to keep water in the system and I'm wondering if premature wear wasn't a cause of overheating for at least a small number of tinblocks.