Re: Temp sensor help needed

Vern Barker

One can repair these By purchase a replacement gage, Freeze the “blub” (the part that screws in block) so the fluid will not leak out. Cut the old “bulb” off leaving enough tube to solder new bulb cut the new froze bulb. With a peace of 1/8 inch ID.  tube spice the new bulb to the original tube  then solder.
Note: You may want to make the spice so it will be under the dash out of site.
          Install new blub and gage in freezer Do not cut until you are ready to spice the two together.
          Dry Ice is best if one can fine it.
Good luck.
Vern

Sent: Monday, April 01, 2019 7:25 PM
To: Crosley-Gang@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Crosley-Gang] Temp sensor help needed

The block thread is 5/8" X 18 (as I recall)  fine thread.

The chances of the tube being just kinked and not working, are slim. If it's not working, most likely punctured and leaked the fluid out.

Butch

On 4/1/2019 6:33 PM, Richard Helm wrote:
I'm looking for a little help and advice on the engine temp sensor. I accidently bumped the capillary tube while replacing the battery on my Hot Shot and now the gauge doesn't work. The end that goes into the block appears to be undamaged but there must be a bad spot on the tube. If I could locate the damage on the tube is there any hope in straightening it enough to make the gauge work again? If not, I have a couple other questions to clarify things:
  • Does anyone know the correct thread size where the bulb goes into the block? I bought a brass plug with 3/8" pipe thread but it appears to be a hair too big. I'd like to plug the hole so I can drive the car a little while waiting to get the gauge repaired.
  • Does the backing plate that holds the gauge into the gauge cluster on the dash have to be removed along with the gauge? I took one out about 20 years ago to get it fixed but don't remember this issue.
  • Does anyone have a recommended place to get the gauge repaired now that Bob Potts is no longer doing it?
Thanks for your help.
Rich

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join Crosley-Gang@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.