Re: Reminder: “Powel Crosley: The Man, the Magic, and the Machine!” - Monday, April 1, 2019 (7:15 - 8:15 pm)

For those of us who can’t attend- I would like to see it live and on Youtube.

- Steve
1949 Hotshot VC10091

On Mar 25, 2019, at 4:10 PM, Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:

This is a reminder that Bill Mitchell and I will present “Powel Crosley:  The Man, the Magic, and the Machine!” on Monday evening, April 1, 2019, at Jimmy’s Charhouse, 1180 West Devon Avenue, Elk Grove Village, IL.

So who was Powel Crosley?  After getting his start manufacturing and selling automotive accessories, he became the “Henry Ford of the Radio,” pioneering the sale of millions of high quality, low cost home radios.  Additionally, he founded and operated the most powerful radio station in America ("The Nation's Station"), manufactured and sold unique refrigerators and other home appliances, and started aircraft and car companies. He owned the Cincinnati Reds and Crosley Field, taking the team to two World Series.  Owning one of the most successful Depression Era business conglomerates, he kept thousands of people employed and improved the quality of life for millions more who purchased his products.  During World War II he manufactured innovative, highly effective anti-aircraft shells and designed an alternative to the Jeep.  After the war he perfected his invention of the first low-cost, energy efficient compact car and marketed Crosleys “to the masses - not the classes.”

Powel Crosley was an inventor, innovator, manufacturer, and sales wizard who will forever be remembered as hard working, passionate, and generous to his workers and those less fortunate in his community.

Don’t miss this overview of one of America’s most intriguing entrepreneurs and “car guys.”

As always, the camaraderie and optional dinner (order off the menu with separate checks) starts at 6:00 p.m., the program is 7:15 – 8:15 p.m., and the club business meeting is 8:15 – 9:00 p.m.  Those who come for the program need not stay for the meeting.

You need not RSVP and of course admission is free.

John Maxson
Activities Director
Packards of Chicagoland

PS – As Activities Director for the Packard Club, it is my job to promote participation at our programs.  I never have trouble characterizing our speakers as among the most knowledgeable, best presenters among those in their respective fields.  It's true.  But I feel funny promoting a presentation that I am a part of.  Bill and I pledge to do everything we can to meet the high standards our club has set for our monthly programs and hope that you can make it next Monday.