Re: Tower Shaft upper bolt removal tool

Butch

I have disassembled, literally, at least a couple hundred of these engines and have never seen anything but a bolt head at the top.

Yours sound like someone has snapped off the towershaft bolt and all that is left is the threaded lower portion.

The bolt extends ABOVE the towershaft and gear, it is hollow drilled, a "metering" elbow goes between the towershaft and camshaft.

That is how the camshaft and bearings get lubricated.

Butch

On 3/21/2019 12:39 PM, Jim Murphy wrote:
No bolt head...there is a hole about 1 5" deep and it appears there is a bolt head at the bottom. The collar at the top of the hole inside the top gear has 4 maybe 1/8 x 3/8 slots feeding off the inner edge. My assumption is that there was a special socket to fit in them allowing it to drop down and engage the bolt head.