Re: 1939 Coupe Convertible

Terrance Robinson

i HAVE FOUND AVIATION GAS TO BE GREAT

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 6:46 AM Jim Bollman <Jim@...> wrote:
Sorry your first post on Feb 11th didn't get posted but as moderator I went through the logs and I can see you joined on the 11th and set a display name but don't see any post so not sure what happened.

To clarify Fred's note a bit. The DY-A1 is the proper carb but the DY-9C will work and looks the same/similar.

As Jeff suggested you may have a gas problem. Either old gas or the alcohol based gas may have caused some clogging. I run alcohol free gas in my Crosleys but ran one tank of alcohol based gas for about 10 miles before syphoning it out and the Crosley was already running rough, the gas had dislodged something and it was clogging the carb. Since it was still running I gave the gas a heavy douse of Seafoam carb cleaner and within 30 minutes the Crosley was running good again, that was 5+ years ago and I still have not tore down the carb. The alcohol based gas tends to clean the fuel system and also dissolve some rubber parts in the system, so a fuel system that hasn't been rebuilt and fully cleaned can be a problem.

As far as brakes, I have never worked on a PreWar. If it is a 39 they had a strange floating brake shoe but I think the basics for mechanical brakes are the same just make sure all the cables are free and activating the brakes and adjust to brake all 4 wheels equally. The other thing to check is oil/grease on the brake shoes. Hopefully some PreWar owners will jump in with suggestions on the brakes.

Your Dad has a nice looking PreWar with great history. I hope you can bring it to our Nationals in July, we will be celebrating the 80th Anniversary of the introduction and yours would be a great example.

Jim...

On Mar 10, 2019, at 5:09 PM, Hellbs <hollywoodhellberg@...> wrote:

Hi all, I tired to post a message back on Feb 11th but it never showed up, nor did I ever receive any replies.  So I am going to try again.

My name is Matt and I live in Iowa.  My dad has a '39 coupe convertible that he believes my grandpa bought new.  We recently got it running but are having carb issues.  It seams like its starving for fuel.  It starts right up and I did drive it around the driveway a bit but if I let off the gas and let it idle, it chokes itself out and dies.  We are looking to rebuild the carb but I am finding misleading information on the internet as to what I need for a rebuild kit.  The carb on the engine is a Tillotson model DY9C.  What I am seeing online is that the car should have model DY1A.  It is the only model listed for the '39.  Needless to say we are a bit confused and don't want to buy the wrong kit and then tear apart the carb and not be able to rebuild properly.

Can anyone help me with this?

Also please note, my dad did say that my grandpa did buy a 2nd '39 many years ago to replace some parts on the one we have now.  We are not looking to restore this car completely but would really like to make it a driver and just tool around town and enjoy the car.

Next thing on our agenda, is the brakes.  As long as my dad can remember, the brakes have never been very good on the car and actually rolled the car going around a corner when the brakes were completely gone (back in the 60s).  Any ideas on how to fix, adjust, or perhaps add hydraulic brakes?

Attached are a couple of pictures of the car, the carb, and screenshot of the information I found about the carb online.

All thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcome!

Thank you all in advance

Matt Hellberg

--
Hurt not the Earth neither the Sea. Nor the Trees.                         Revelation 7:3
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."